Should I put these fish in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a total amateur when it comes to fish keeping and this is my first post. I have no idea how to use this site correctly, and although I try my best, I apologize if I'm messing something up. Anyway, I researched my first fish tank extensively, and I bought a 29 gallon tank and I have 12 cardinal tetras, 6 diamond tetras, 2 Pictus catfish, and 4 pearl danios. I have gotten each species a week apart and I have cleaned and changed the water of the tank 30% every week. I try to be as responsible as I can. I also cycled my tank for two weeks before I put in fish. Anyway, on to the point, I was wondering if I can fit a pearl Gourami and a Gold marbled angelfish into my tank. My fish all get along fabulously. If there are any issues, whether it be aggression, or simply size please tell me. My pictus catfish have not gone after any of my fish so I was pleasantly surprised. I apologize for saying or doing anything idiotic as I am very new to this website and the fish keeping world in general. Should I put in the fish I have previously stated? Thank you so much!!!!!!

Welcome to the world of aquariums! I'm curious about if you cycled the tank first? If you didn't, it is a very common mistake, if you did, good job! I'm not an angelfish expert, but these might help.

http://aquarium.answers.com/fish-types/5-questions-to-ask-before-buying-a-gold-marble-angelfish

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/anabantoids/pearlgour.php

Keep in mind that it each species has a minimum tank size, but you must make that tank even bigger to accommodate more fish. Also, I think danios are happiest in groups of at least 5-6. I hope this helps!

hi 182025:

A 29gallon tank is a bit too small for angelfish. They grow quite large and need more room than that. Besides, when he grows up your angel may well decide that your tetras would make an excellent dinner!

You could probably fit your pearl gourami in, although again 29g is a bit small, especially considering your current stocking.

You could add more tetras, and you should definitely add more danios (4 is too few for them). Have you thought about a couple of livebearers like platys? They get along pretty well with danios, and they don't grow as large as gouramis or angels. There are some very beautiful, colorful ones available.

-Yorg

I am a total amateur when it comes to fish keeping and this is my first post. I have no idea how to use this site correctly, and although I try my best, I apologize if I'm messing something up. Anyway, I researched my first fish tank extensively, and I bought a 29 gallon tank and I have 12 cardinal tetras, 6 diamond tetras, 2 Pictus catfish, and 4 pearl danios. I have gotten each species a week apart and I have cleaned and changed the water of the tank 30% every week. I try to be as responsible as I can. I also cycled my tank for two weeks before I put in fish. Anyway, on to the point, I was wondering if I can fit a pearl Gourami and a Gold marbled angelfish into my tank. My fish all get along fabulously. If there are any issues, whether it be aggression, or simply size please tell me. My pictus catfish have not gone after any of my fish so I was pleasantly surprised. I apologize for saying or doing anything idiotic as I am very new to this website and the fish keeping world in general. Should I put in the fish I have previously stated? Thank you so much!!!!!!

Go on aqadvisor. Just choose the tank/dimensions, filters, and fish you want or have and it'll tell you advice and warnings.

Pictus are might destroy ur smaller tetras along with angels

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1163+933&pcatid=933

Pictus are very active swimmers. They need a much larger tank and as a wide mouth predatory catfish they will eat any fish that fit in their mouth. I would take them out immediately before they eat your Tetras.

Because your tank is tall rather than wide , it doesn't allow very much swimming room for larger fish. Angelfish do get quite large.

A pearl gourami , as has been said, might fit. They prefer some floating plants. And peaceful tank mates that will not nip at their feelers.

You've added a lot of fish in a very short time. I would not add any fish for now. Continue testing your water. I would add some live plants and work on making your tank comfortable for your fish and then do your research to decide what would be the best match.

LiveAquaria has pretty good tank recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree the pictus cats and danios need to go as the tank is too small. I'd return / rehome the pictus and danios then let the tank stabalize for about 2-3 weeks. Leeris, Pearl Gourami get large, 5" or more so at some point it may need to move to a larger tank. No angels as they get far too large.

I also noted you have no clean up crew for the bottom. You may want to try some cherry shrimp or even a dwarf crayfish. If you go with cory cats you will need to stay with a small variety and get at least 5.

Back
Top Bottom