Should Plecoptera go home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotocus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Should Pleco go home?

I apologize for the "plecoptera" title - autocorrect.

8 or so months ago we got a small common pleco. I knew they got large, but figured it would take a while. At the time we had a 20 long and an algae problem. I was looking for something to clean the algae and we figured we would get a larger tank or take him back when he got too large.

Forward to today. We are setting up a new tank (about day 6 of fish-in cycle) and I'm thinking about the new tank stock. The tank is a 75. Every time I put the fish I want into the aquarium advisor calculator, the pleco always causes it to be overstocked - by a lot. If I pull it out I am fine. I know this is calculating based in a full sized pleco (my guy is about 5 inches at the moment).

So my big question is - if I want a community tank with lots of fish (danios, tiger barbs, mollies, cories, and Siamese algae eaters) - should I re-home my pleco? Are plecos best left in large tanks with few fish? I really like him and like the idea of having one large fish with all the other little guys, but don't want anyone eaten or stressed by overstocking. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
On AQ advisor you can hit the link called juvenile and add a 5" common instead of an adult. I have a common and a gold spot in my 75 right now (wouldn't recommend that!) and when I got them a month and a half ago they weren't being fed and were in a 55. Since then the common has grown from 9" to 12." he forewarned a large pleco will not allow you any live rooted plants.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea common plecos can get well over 15" the Bristol nose or long fin are better they will stay smaller for the tank and grow slower

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep, rehome the common and get a bristlenose pleco. The BN pleco will stay small and eat algae for their whole lives.

I agree with the above advice. I have a 75g and my bnp does fine in there. I really don't want a foot long monster smashing around in all my plants and messing things up and pooping like a volcano. For future reference, common plecos don't keep eating algae as they grow if they can help it, they prefer meatier foods. If you have an algae problem, you are generally best suited by just keeping the lights on less. Bnp are better on the algae control though IMO. There are also cool species like the farlowella, rubberlip pleco, and tons of fancy plecos that will do better in the sort of tank you seem to want than a monster common pleco will.

Yeah that was a rookie call. I knew they got big but I guess I didn't think it through. Turned out the three mollies we got at the same time did a number on the algae too.

Yeah that was a rookie call. I knew they got big but I guess I didn't think it through. Turned out the three mollies we got at the same time did a number on the algae too.

Yeah, mollies are algae eating all stars!
No worries, we have virtually all made some rookie calls. :)

i keep an 18" plus pleco in my 200 community/rainbowfish tank hes not aggressive and live on my algea and java moss. i would really love plants but hes killed all but the java fern and anubiad which he just knocks looses and i have to stuff them back in their places every couple days. my friend was gonna euthanize him if he could not find it a home so i took him in. wish i would have but seeing the monster as the kids call him swimming along with fish than can swim in and out of his mouth is neat. my albino corys steal food from inside his mouth its hilarious

i keep an 18" plus pleco in my 200 community/rainbowfish tank hes not aggressive and live on my algea and java moss. i would really love plants but hes killed all but the java fern and anubiad which he just knocks looses and i have to stuff them back in their places every couple days. my friend was gonna euthanize him if he could not find it a home so i took him in. wish i would have but seeing the monster as the kids call him swimming along with fish than can swim in and out of his mouth is neat. my albino corys steal food from inside his mouth its hilarious

Video that and share with us!!

Back
Top Bottom