Shrimp tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markybendy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, I've just got my first tank for shrimps. It's a juwel rekord 63L. I'm running a foam filter with air pump and the original filter that came with the tank. I've got about an inch of small multi colour gravel on bottom. With three large bog wood. Planted with 4 pogostemon helferi and 1 ophiopogon Kyoto plants all very young plants. I have about 15 red cherry shrimps, 6 green, 3 black bumble bees and 2 red bumble bees. I feed them with jbl nanoPrawn once a day. My problem is none of the greenery ever seems to grow much, I've also tried lava moss and Christmas moss along with moss balls. I want to get most of the bottom and wood covered in moss along with some tall cover at the back. Also I find my red cherry get pregnant but never see any babies. Please help

What light do you have on the tank? The pogostemon helferi prefers medium light and the Kyoto plant is a terrarium plant, not aquarium, which means it isn't fully aquatic and won't last long if fully submerged.

As for the shrimp being berried (full of eggs) the gestation period can be a bit long, about 2-3 weeks.

Have you tested the parameters in the water? Ammonia, nitrite, PH, nitrate? You might want to start there to see if there 's anything off in the water that the shrimp don't like.

I'm using the original duolux light that came with the tank. I havnt done a water test for about 10 months so will do one today, how often should I do one? Our local aquatic center said these plants were ok. Has he told me wrong?

Back
Top Bottom