Shy crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MineShaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a blue crayfish at my local pet store for $22 when I put him in the tank he was looking around at first then started hiding and hasn't come out yet it is really worrying me please help

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

This is typical crayfish behavior, if I remember from another post your tank is pretty barren, just fill it up with some caves and fake plants to make him feel more secure

Caleb

Yup completely normal. Like said, get some more ground cover and he is more likely go go roaming around instead of a big empty space.

Caleb

You're right but How many hiding spots should I have

My crayfish would always hide during the day but night was when he came out. If you drop some food in front of his hidey hole he will grab it and either eat it there or bring it back into the cave with him. Lots of hiding spots and fake plants will make him feel more secure, so he feels safe to come out during the day.

Also when I got him he had missing limbs will they grow back

Also when I got him he had missing limbs will they grow back

Most likely, though he may molt to make it happen. When I had a wild caught cray he started with only 1 claw and under frequent water changes and a healthy diet he grew the other back.

Caleb

Thanks for the help also he came out when the lights went out

Back
Top Bottom