Sick of boring fish. Which spice up a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beginner on the loose

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a big problem, I am "reseting" my tank. New plants, sand not gravel, and other new decor. The problem is that I am stuck in a rut, looking at the same fish and researching all the wrong stuff. I was just hoping I could get some help with ideas for colorful fish and tank decor that work together in a community freshwater tank. Keep in mind that my tank is a 20 gal, (24 x 13). Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
butterfly_koi said:
Welcome to AA! What is your current stock? (if you have one)

What butterfly koi means by your stock is if you have any fish currently and if you do what kind? Sorry if you already knew, but I didn't until the people here explained it.

Corydoras have funny. Behavior, they are bottomfeeders, honey gourami male female and something for the middle water layer

Welcome to AA! What is your current stock? (if you have one)
to butterfly_koi... i used to have (a month ago) some angels, neon tetras, danios, corys, plecos, mollys, glass shrimp, and some cherry barbs. But this was over time, i kept killing the smaller fish and didnt figure out what it was untill I saw the shrimp killing all of the small fish. (I recently got my freind the take the last few fish off my hands. So now its time to be careful and start over slow with non pre-ued equiptment (i.e. gravel, rocks, and plastic plants)

Corydoras have funny. Behavior, they are bottomfeeders, honey gourami male female and something for the middle water layer
I already had some corys and ill be sure to put them in my new setup but i havent checked out honey gourami yet but ill be sure to look into it! Thanks!

They have nice behavior like bettas, but alot less aggressive, they make nests alike, males have nice.colors when.impressing female.

bud29 said:
Or even better yet, male endlers. They're like smaller guppies with much more intricate designs. I think they're cool.

I agree! They are quite small though. I would recommend a small group, since the males are only an inch or so. The male to female ratio is the same as guppies, I'm pretty sure. 1 male for every 2 female.

JRMagno said:
I agree! They are quite small though. I would recommend a small group, since the males are only an inch or so. The male to female ratio is the same as guppies, I'm pretty sure. 1 male for every 2 female.

Yeah, you're right. I would personally get all males in the group though because if I remember right, female endlers don't have cool designs like males.

bud29 said:
Yeah, you're right. I would personally get all males in the group though because if I remember right, female endlers don't have cool designs like males.

They are very plain, however, just like guppies I think the males start wrecking havoc without females. Not sure how much havoc a one inch fish could cause though!

bettaowner said:
Red pencil fish. Or something in the nannostromous group.

Im gonna step in here and suggest a group of coral red pencilfish (not sure if its the same as red pencilfish?) Those things are, mmm, GORGEOUS

Or even better yet, male endlers. They're like smaller guppies with much more intricate designs. I think they're cool.
I reasearched male endlers and they look rely cool! Another question... I read that they are very easy to mate and dont eat there fry. So should I get females also or should I hold off on that?

beginner on the loose said:
Very intresting coloring but are these fish peaceful, semi-aggressive, or aggresive? Also do you know their non scientific name?

Apisto is common name. They're cichlids, typically mild tempered, but Cichlids none the less. I would say semi-aggressive IME

Back
Top Bottom