Sick Yellow Lab Cichlid! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Another Question

I have a Yellow Lab Cichlid that is starting to get small black spots on his side. What could this be? He's not getting picked on so what could it be? I've tried taking pics but he swims too fast and I can't get a clear shot.

Are the spots in a pattern or random

They aren't in a pattern of any kind. They are basically random.

If it looks like he's been in a coal mine, what are you feeding?

We've been feeding a range of stuff from Tubiflex, Freeze Dried Bloodworms, Frozen Bloodworms, Brine Shrimp Flakes, frozen brine shrimp, Cichlid flakes, Small Cichlid pellets, and occasionally a baby shrimp as a treat (maybe once a week). We don't feed all of this at one time, usually one day its bloodworms and a couple flakes, the next day Brine shrimp and pellets. They absolutely love them. I've heard that it's better to feed a variety of things to the fish. Is this wrong?

Also, on a side note, I've noticed one of our Johanni's has been doing some excavation. Funny thing is, none of our cichlid's have ever "redecorated" our tank like I've heard they would. On Monday he/she started digging a hole by picking up sand in his/her mouth and forming a mound of sand to the side. It's funny to watch. Is this normal or is it a sign of something? I know that Cichlid's by nature will redecorate, but they haven't ever done it before. Maybe I'm just being too cautious but I've grown quite attached to my fish. We've had most of them since they were about an inch long and they are all, except for the parrots, about to reach their full growth.

I have an adult Yellow Lab Cichlid that has developed black spots on his sides and fins. I don't know what could possibly be wrong. It just developed last week and I asked the lfs but they said not to worry about it (I don't trust them). The yellow lab is in the 55 gal tank (tankmates below) and has not been picked on. The tank has been set up for about a year now without problems. We had a bad case of ick about 8 months ago but we didn't have him yet. Right now we are using a Cascade 1000 Canister Filtration System, not sure on the gph. I just did a weekly water change on Monday and barely vac'd the sand. We normally do about 25% water changes. Nothing new has been added to the tank to cause this problem. I'm not exactly sure on the Nitrate, but our Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Temp is 79.6, and pH is at 7.0 (about to add Crushed Coral to it tonight to raise it to 7.8 where most Cichlid's prefer).

What could be wrong with my fish? The spots are not in any pattern, just random. Can anyone help me?

Hmmm, didn't I post before?

Does the fish look like it has been in a coal mine? What are you feeding it?

Yes Menagerie, you did ask those questions before and I replied but I haven't gotten anything in response. I am feeding the cichlids a variety of things, Tubiflex, Frozen/Freeze Dried Blood Worms, Flake/Frozen Brine Shrimp, Cichlid Pellets, and Tropical Flake. I try to do a variety, one day Blood Worms, next day Shrimp. He's not completly covered in black, just spotted, very small spots.

I'm glad to hear that. Just this morning I looked into the tank and noticed that the Auratus started digging a hole under our cave. It's so funny watching the Johanni on the right side of the tank and the Auratus on the left, swimming down, taking a mouthful of sand, swimming up and spitting it out. Although, the Auratus hit glass tonight. I'm thinking of covering the hole up and letting her start again. :D

I know that Cichlid's by nature will redecorate, but they haven't ever done it before.
Not only are they hitting full size, but sexual maturity comes about and it's time for territories and all the fun stuff that comes with mating. Now is the time to watch for aggression and have a QT tank ready to go if needed.

I replied but I haven't gotten anything in response.
Sorry, if I don't respond, just PM me with the link and I will get back to you.

Hmmm, I had heard that spirulina gives cichlids a coal miner's look. Can you look at the ingredients in the flake and cichlid pellets? Mine get dots, but usually in the face--they seem to come and go.

I try to do a variety, one day Blood Worms, next day Shrimp.
Cut back on the protien. The Mbuna are herbivores, although will eat anything given to them. These fish are prone to Malawi bloat and need veggies/algae in their diet. Also, you can feed them every other day. My guys are fed every other day and they are fit fish. Last night, they got two long strips of zucchini and are finishing it off as we speak. They really clean it up. They also like green beans and peas.

We feed ours twice a day in small incriments. For instance, two small tubiflex blocks (1/4 by 1/4 by 1/4) broken up in the morning and a cube of brine shrimp at night. The cubes of brine shrimp are about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch and are about 1/8 inch deep. They usually eat it all in about 45 sec. I have been told to feed them what they will eat in 3 minutes once a day so that's why I try to feed them twice a day what they will eat in 1 minute. Is this too much?

When feeding Zucchini, do you peel the skin off and feed the inside or do you feed them the green only? I have heard that with pea's you should nuke them till warm then peel off the skin and toss in the pea. Is this right? I've never used veg's before.

We have a 10 gal QT tank that we got from the lfs on the day after Thanksgiving sale. They had a sale for whatever you could fit into the 10 gal tank, it was 50% off and you got to keep the tank, nice huh. That's how we got the Cascade Canister Filtration unit. So that will be our QT tank. Basically all it needs is sand, filter, air stone, and what else? We haven't set it up yet because we haven't had any sick fish until the Lab. Should we take him out and QT him? I'm constantly learning something new every day on this site. I'm glad it's out here in cyber world.

Also, I have heard that you should keep salt in a Cichlid tank. We haven't done this because a guy at the lfs told me that it's useless (stupid me I actually listened without questioning him). Should we add salt?

I checked on the ingrediants and the Algae Wafers and Cichlid pellets both have spirulina. I don't understand why the black spots would show up now, we have been feeding them the pellets for 6 months and never before have any of them had black spotting.

I don't understand why the black spots would show up now, we have been feeding them the pellets for 6 months and never before have any of them had black spotting.
It may be a threshold thing. Did you check out shawmutt's link?

When feeding Zucchini, do you peel the skin off and feed the inside or do you feed them the green only?
I slice the zucchini in half and then in thirds length wise. I often peel it, but you don't have to. I have 14 Mbuna and a hungry pleco in my tank, they get two pics--one on each side of the tank. Without sink it's gone within 12 hours. With skin, they leave most of the skin after 12 hours.
I have heard that with pea's you should nuke them till warm then peel off the skin and toss in the pea. Is this right?
(y)

For instance, two small tubiflex blocks (1/4 by 1/4 by 1/4) broken up in the morning and a cube of brine shrimp at night. The cubes of brine shrimp are about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch and are about 1/8 inch deep.
That's a lot of protien for those fish. If you are afriad they won't get enough to eat, add veggies (zucchini and cucumber last the longest and allow them to graze) every other day. When the fish eat in a feedy frenzy, they eat too much. For the health of the fish in the long run, cut back on their food.

Also, I have heard that you should keep salt in a Cichlid tank. We haven't done this because a guy at the lfs told me that it's useless (stupid me I actually listened without questioning him). Should we add salt?
I don't. Some people do.

Basically all it needs is sand, filter, air stone, and what else?
Leave the QT tank's bottom open. With only an airstone, you will be doing lots of water changes. Also, you will want to see if your ill fish is pooing. All you need is a spot for the fish to hide.
I think the yellow lab is probably fine.

I am going to merge these topics to keep everyone together.

I checked the link and it's not the same as what's going on. Ok, so add water to the qt tank, throw in an air stone and hob filter, and let it go. Thanks Menagerie! I'll start using some veg's in the tank to see if that wil help.

throw in an air stone and hob filter
You only need one. If you are medicating, make sure there is no charcoal in the filter.

How is the fish behaving? Is it possible to get a picture?

Back
Top Bottom