sick young bronze cory - nuerological?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
Description: I've had this bronze cory for nearly 3 months now. He was supper small when I got him, much smaller than the other cories from the same batch I purchased him with. Right now he is a little under and inch while his other cory friends are about an inch and a half. I just found him trapped inbetween the stems of a leaf, breathing very heavily. When I got him free, he swam for a bit, then settled on the ground. Breathing moderatly. Then, I saw him try to swim to the surface for air. As he proceeded up, he had to circle his way up, and then coming down his body was rotating in a circle. Again on the gravel, he sat there and for a moment almost turned sideways. His movements are irradict and uncontrolled at times. He bumps into the glass and anything that gets in his way.

*edit* further observation: his color is normal, no red gills. When he sits on the gravel, his breathing returns to somewhat normal. Also, I've noticed ever since I got him that he does not eat as aggresively/as much as the other cories.

Tank Perams:
pH 6.8
ammonia 0
nitrates 0
nitrites 0

tank mates: 3 other bronze cories, 1 angelfish, 2 female bettas, 5 rummynosed tetras

food: omega shrimp pelltes, flake food, algae waffers, and occasionally bloodworms
Is there anything I can do?? Is it contagious??

UPDATE: I've taken the cory out of the tank, and I will be putting him in my 5 gallon as soon as I acclimate him. I'm hoping that this will help because the 5 gallon tank is smaller and easier for the little guy to go to the surface for air (like all cories need). He didn't put up any fight with the net. But right now his is swimming normally in the cup used for acclimation. I also shaved off a piece of shrimp pellet and he has munched at it a little.

I'm not sure. Since he has stayed small, I think there may be something inherently wrong with the cory.
Separate him and observe him. If there is something contagious, the other fish will get it if they pick at the cory.

sorry to hear your cory got trapped...

Regarding the size difference any chance that the smaller one is a male and all the others are females??? When they are adults I can tell the difference of bronze cories by the size....

Hope it works out for you..

Moooose

I put him into the 5 gallon for observation. No one had started picking on him yet. Surprisingly, everyone just left him alone. I've kept the lights off to help him feel more comfy, and I put a peice of driftwood for him to hide in. I really hope I don't find him dead in the morning :(

UPDATE Jan. 8

The little guy is still alive and kicking. He is breathing normal and when I dropped a few shrimp pellets into the 5 gallon for him, he immediatly went for them. I don't know what to think of this little guy! His coloration is still good, he seems a little skinny, but again he never ate well since I got him. No signs of weird swimming, but I'll keep watching.

Update Jan 9th

Today the little cory is still acting normal. Have I gone insane? What are your thoughts on this little guy. I'm thinking he was just too small for the 55 gallon and it was difficult for him to get to the surface. Which made him more lethargic and that would explain why he never ate well. Sound good?

Temporary Solution: I'm going to try and raise him to a larger size in the 5 gallon. He is enjoying the company of one of my female bettas who didn't seem to enjoy the 55 gallon as well. His color looks great, and he is eating very well. Should I find him some cory friends, or do you think he will be okay on his own in there for a while? I've read of cories dieing from loneliness, but I don't think that was ever proven.

January 10th

Okay, the little guy is acting totally normal now. Eating like a pig, I'm not sure what to think. But he is definitly staying in the 5 gallon until he grows a little bigger.

Last update for now. The little cory is finally acting like a cory for the first time since I brought him home. As I had mentioned in earlier, he had always been very quite, inactive, and never ate much in the 55 gallon. Well, with the improvement of his appetite (he is even now going after the betta pellets on the surface if my female betta doesn't eat them) he has become much more active and seems to be swimming around the tank quite pleasantly. No signs of uncontrolled movement and none of that weird circling or rolling he was demonstrating in the 55 gallon. I'll update you when he finally is big enough for the 55 gallon tank or, and I hope this doesn't happen, if anything goes wrong. Thanks!

Well, I moved another cory into the five gallon. The other two cories had paired up and after the young cory had been moved, the "odd" cory seemed to deteriorate in health. He lost his barbels and yesterday his fins were frayed. So far he is acting normal and healthy in the 5 gallon, but has no interest in being companions with the young cory...

As for the young cory, he is doing quite well it seems. Except tonight I checked in the tank after lights had been out for a few hours and I saw him belly up in the gravel. Immediatly I thought he was dead and turned the lights on. After a second or two, the young cory wiggled and sat right-side-up. Aside from being a little confused as to why the lights were on, he seemed okay.

Should I be worried or are there some cories that might sleep on their back? :|

The other two cories had paired up and after the young cory had been moved, the "odd" cory seemed to deteriorate in health. He lost his barbels and yesterday his fins were frayed.
Even if he's acting normal, to loose the barbels and have frayed fins is no good. Perhaps your cory stresses easily.

yeh, I didn't think it was normal either which is why when I saw the frayed fins he was moved immediatly to the QT tank (which is now looking like a normal tank :roll: ).

What about the little cory on his back though? These two have me so worried :?

Well, both cories are acting just like cories should. I am happy, but a little confused about their previous behavior.

On the large cory, I am starting to see healing in his fins and a hint at little nubs of barbels.

The small cory is just as active as ever. I guess he just sleeps on him back every once in a while. Probebly just trying to keep me on my toes :roll:

Something really good I've noticed are that the two cories have bonded to some degree. I occasionally see them swimming together, which before the didn't. I also see them rub fins/bodies on occaision. I think this is a really good sign, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I didn't know what to say about the cory on it's back. Some fish just like to scare you!

I'm glad the frayed fins are getting better. Are you treating with anything?

nope, not treating with a thing. I wanted to try and see if they'd heal on their own before getting the meds. I treat myself the same way :roll:

Back
Top Bottom