silk plants in aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandapanda

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I recently found an interest in mollies & platies! Kinda funny......but I bought them for my sons 3rd b-day from walmart. I thought they were just gold fish or somewhat similar. After a few days of taking interest in watching these playful little guys, I started researching & come to find out, I got in way over my head. Hoewever, I luv it!! But i'm fish-illiterate!! So I'm trying to create a more appropriate aquarium & I've actually learned so much in the last 2 days online. However, I have to manage with what I've got until I can buy more appropriate decor & a larger aquarium. So I was hoping I copuld get a little help on some things......

1. I have a few pregnant fishies & I'm trying to make an appropriate tank for when they're about to burst. But what should/ shouldn't the tank consist of?

2. I'm not sure when to put a "mommy-to-be" in the seperate tank, will they act a certain way? Or look different? I know some have the darker area on their tummies, but I don't know what I'm watching for!

3. This one may be silly... Is it ok to put silk flowers/plants (the ones from a craft dept.) in a fish tank? I don't have a lot of hiding places for them & I read that mollies like lots of plants & the fry also should have plenty of hiding places. Yes I know I should buy the right things, but like I said....I got in over my head & wasn't aware these weren't goldfish. Therefor I can't stick them in a bowl & feed them flakes. I'm getting there...slowly but surely!

I hope this isn't too much or too silly, but if anyone would or could, I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions!

Thanks!!
Mandy

I don't know the answers to your first two questions, but I can help with your third. The fake plants from the craftstore can sometimes be used but not always. If there is any metal exposed then definately not. There are a few other things that you have to look for that I don't know off of the top of my head. You're probably better off sticking to fake plants meant for the aquarium, since you know they'll be safe.

You can always buy (unless you have some) clean flower pots, but a hole on them. I've even seen people cut up plastic bowls. Actually I have bunch of plastic plants laying round from my son's aquarium. He started out wanting tons of plants. then decided he liked a more minimalist approach. I should upload a pic or two. It's not too bad for a 9 yo taking care of it (everything except the water changes).

Anyway, I digress. If you want, drop me a priviate note with your address and I'll send a few out to you.

Anything from the craft department should be carefully checked. No metal, no glitter or anything that you even think could be hazardus. With that in mind get what you consider safe and put it in a bucket of treated water for 2 weeks or so to leach out any bad stuff, changing the water every 3 days or so.

Back
Top Bottom