Single fish suggestion for a 5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AC-X2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've set up a 5 gallon tank and would like to have just one larger sized fish in it rather than several smaller fish. I was thinks about adding a goldfish. Is that a good idea? What would be a good choice here?

Thanks!

Nononono u can't have a goldfish they need monster tanks and get massively big

I've set up a 5 gallon tank and would like to have just one larger sized fish in it rather than several smaller fish. I was thinks about adding a goldfish. Is that a good idea? What would be a good choice here?

Thanks!

A male betta is your best bet

you could do a male betta, or a small shrimp colony, or a dwarf puffer, or a pair of african dwarf frogs

Dwarf Puffer? Is that saltwater? This is a freshwater tank. I like the frogs though! Where could I buy them? I don't think I've seen them in pet store.

I've heard that, but what about people keeping them in these small bowls? Thanks!

People keep goldfish in the small bowls because they either don't care or are seriously misinformed about their requirements. Most goldfish should live to be 5 - 10 years old or more but when they are kept in a bowl they usually die within a month.

For example, a comet goldfish which is a very common type that is sold gets to be over a foot long and needs a 75g+ tank to thrive.

yup they are fully freshwater. the dwarf frogs are pretty common, i see them at most of the stores i visit. just ask someone that works there if they have them and make sure they aren't clawed frogs, because those get huge

Dwarf Puffer? Is that saltwater? This is a freshwater tank. I like the frogs though! Where could I buy them? I don't think I've seen them in pet store.

I got 2 adfs at my lfs they are fun to watch

People keep goldfish in the small bowls because they either don't care or are seriously misinformed about their requirements. Most goldfish should live to be 5 - 10 years old or more but when they are kept in a bowl they usually die within a month.

For example, a comet goldfish which is a very common type that is sold gets to be over a foot long and needs a 75g+ tank to thrive.

Alright. Thanks a lot! I definitely won't get a gold fish now.

yup they are fully freshwater. the dwarf frogs are pretty common, i see them at most of the stores i visit. just ask someone that works there if they have them and make sure they aren't clawed frogs, because those get huge

Ok, thanks! I'll check in at my local Pet Smart & PetCo.

Back
Top Bottom