Skip cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it possible to skip a fishless cycle and add wish within a few days if I have a new filter pad with established filter pad with it. I cut a piece the size of 2 quarters off my established pad and put it in my filter with my new pad. It's been 1 day now and my new pad already has brown stains and is a little green. I have also been putting in fish flakes to add more bacteria. If I take some water from my established tank and put some in my new tank, could I possibly just skip the cycle and start adding fish??

It's kind of urgent because I need to get my 3 pregnant fish in there ASAP so they ca safely have their fry and so I can save the fry.

Yes it is. You don't need to fishless cycle.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html
Give this a read. It will explain a few things.

Great article! I have a few fish in my established tank that aren't really my favorites so I plan on adding them into my 10 gal tomorrow and see how they do!

They are black skirt tetras and I've heard they are rather hardy. I'll do 50% water changes every other day on the tank. There is also live plants to help the cycle even more.

I'm so glad I read that cause everyone says its a bad idea to do fish in cycle cause they'll just die.

I'm not sure, might be possible since of the established bacteria.

Yeah that's what I though. And I tested my water two time today, (once in the morning and again around 5pm) and I didn't see any ammonia / trites/ trates.

I didn't put in any of the water from my other tank though, but I will do a 25% wc and put the water in from my established tank instead or from my tap.

You might get told that but its not true. Many are scared of fish in cycling. The key to fish in cycling is low stock count and lots if water changes. If you keep the ammonia and nitrite to a minimum then a fish in cycle is completely safe for the fish.

You might get told that but its not true. Many are scared of fish in cycling. The key to fish in cycling is low stock count and lots if water changes. If you keep the ammonia and nitrite to a minimum then a fish in cycle is completely safe for the fish.

Yeah, I totally agree with you! Thanks so much! Ill be adding my black skirts tomorrow and eventually my prego guppies. Ill post pics so you can see !

Would you recommend adding 25% of water from my established tank though? Or should I just leave it as my tap water?

You can use all tank water so you can just add them straight in without acclimating or some of each or all tap water at the right temp. Doesn't matter really as long as the are acclimated.

You can use all tank water so you can just add them straight in without acclimating or some of each or all tap water at the right temp. Doesn't matter really as long as the are acclimated.

I think I'll just use my tap since its easiest,

So ill do a 25% wc tomorrow before I put the lil guys in then ill just monitor the parameters and do a 50 % change every other day. Am I correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much. Keep an eye on the parameters and change the water as needed.

Okay, if I keep of with the water changes, should anything spike since my tank technically still is cycling ?

(Sorry about all the questions, Im a newbie)

Okay, if I keep of with the water changes, should anything spike since my tank technically still is cycling ? (Sorry about all the questions, Im a newbie)
No it shouldn't spike if you do enough. Just test the tank daily and monitor the ammonia and nitrite. If its .25ppm or above then change enough water to bring it down to .25ppm or less. If you notice any large spikes then test twice daily and change water as needed until it settles down. You shouldn't see any massive spikes if you stick to that and have seeded media.

No it shouldn't spike if you do enough. Just test the tank daily and monitor the ammonia and nitrite. If its .25ppm or above then change enough water to bring it down to .25ppm or less. If you notice any large spikes then test twice daily and change water as needed until it settles down. You shouldn't see any massive spikes if you stick to that and have seeded media.

Alright good! I don't want them to die.

And the media I added is only about the size of 2 quarters, it isn't the size of my whole filter pad. Is that okay ?

That's fine. Every little bit helps.

I would add more but I don't have a backup filter pad to put in my established tank and I don't want to start a mini cycle in it.

There is two slots to put in two filter pads though. Could I have two in there ?

In your main tank filter? Yes. It's always a good idea to fill filters with media so you have spare seeded stuff for occasions like this.

Yep in my main tank. Ill go ahead and put another one it :) thanks so much you've seriously helped me a lot and answered all my questions lol!

+1 to this. I did a fish in on my little 10g that I started with. I started from scratch, just fish and no seeded media, and it took about two months. But if you can get seeded media then that will make it go faster. When I upgraded to my 30 I just moved my filter media into my 30g filter, it was basically instantly cycled because I moved my platies that I cycled my 10g with so bioload was the exact same. Just anytime after adding new fish keep a close eye on your water params to make sure you don't go through a mini cycle. Also if you get your fish from a LFS that has healthy tanks, ask if they will give you media. My LFS does that for me all the time. When I got my 30g I asked for media anytime I got new fish and I never went through a mini cycle.

Ok so I just added 3 black skirt tetras into the tank about 15 minutes ago. They are still being very shy, ill let you know how it goes !

Back
Top Bottom