slime on spider wood???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GreenGo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright, so I need some advice and direction. Hoping y'all could help.

About a year ago I purchased some spider wood for my panther crab breeding project (thread coming in the next couple months, please be patient). Due to the wood being difficult to soak and wanting to try my hand at breeding a different crab first, I let the driftwood sit for almost a year before I'm now picking the project back up.

When I first tried to soak it, the water became tannin and some of the driftwood (most of it actually) developed this slime coating. However, this time I put the wood in the dishwasher and then put it in my aquariums (9 ten gallons) hoping it would be alright. However, tannin still leached and I had to do a couple complete water changes to help fight the tannin.

Long story short, I noticed a bit of a slime-like coating on one of my spider wood, smelled it and another piece, and the slime one had a sort-of bad odor while the non-slime one just smelled like wet wood (how it's ¨supposed¨ to smell). Just went in to do another water change, and the slime is definitely back in at least one aquarium, with the smell being strong this time vs the sort-of of last time.

Does anyone know what this slime-like coating could possibly be? At first I thought it might be anaerobic bacteria so I put an airline in every aquarium, but it didn't work out the way I expected (hypothesis refuted). Now I'm at a loss. I don't want to add any water back in due to not wanting to make it worse, but have no idea as to what I'm dealing with.

So, what could it possibly be and how can I get rid of it?! Please help!

:thanks:

The slime is pretty common on new driftwood and can make a big mess before it finally goes away. Don't worry about it, it's harmless. There are some like shrimp that will slowly eat it away.

Don't worry about tannins either, if anything they are more natural to the fish.

Boiling the wood helps speed up getting rid of these.

Caleb

Thank you Caleb for the quick response. I'm glad it's harmless, and I usually only change the water if the tannin is to the point that it blocks out the majority of the light. Thanks again! (y)

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One more question. I'm planning to add a DIY moss wall to each aquarium using Java moss. Would you recommend waiting for the slime to go away, or would it be fine to go ahead and start that part of the project? I'm going to try to start the new thread later tonight, though it may be a few months before I am able to purchase the crabs

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The slime won't hurt your moss wall. Get it started. Post pics. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom