Small f.w. tank. Getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremy arsement

Aquarium Advice Regular
Been a salt water hobbyist for a while. Not sure if fresh water is much different (except for the salt, obviously). My daughter wants glow fish for her birthday. Thinking I'll get her an 8-10 g for her room. How do I start? Do I need to cycle water before adding the fish? Help please.

So, with the little amount of help the first response was, here's more info:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

In that thread you'll find a lot of information about freshwater tanks. Cycling is important and without the beneficial bacteria the tank can be a volatile soup for fish.

With my tanks I went with fishless cycling which takes about 2 months. There are other methods but none that are as fish friendly or stable. Cycle in a bottle products may not be entirely effective or permanent, but they are the fastest with the tank being "ready" in about 24-48 hours. Fish-in cycling also takes a couple weeks, but during the process you are doing a lot of water tests and changes to make sure the fish doesn't die or get sick.

Another option, talk to the LFS and see if they have any used filter material you can have/buy. This material already has the BB growing on it so it helps the tank cycle faster, no matter what method you use.

Are you going with live plants? If so, I recommend something slow growing and hardy. Java fern and java moss can be good choices for low-light tanks. Both require very little in ferts and lighting. They also both require something to attach to for growth. Get a piece of driftwood or a rock from the LFS. Plants are also good for helping a smaller tank remain balanced by using up the toxic chemicals that can build up in the water and kill the fish.

Even if you don't take any of my advice, please at least read the articles in the thread I linked above. They are full of useful info for any freshwater tank.

Can a saltwater tank be used to seed a freshwater tank? More specifically can I use a small piece of live rock or small sponge from my saltwater sump to seed a freshwater tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm guessing no, but there are others that are more knowledgeable than I.

Can a saltwater tank be used to seed a freshwater tank? More specifically can I use a small piece of live rock or small sponge from my saltwater sump to seed a freshwater tank?

I've wondered that myself for a while. Assuming it works then you would still have to go through the cycling as saltwater tanks don't have a high bio load and low levels of beneficial bacteria.

Unfortunately, no, this will not work. While 'nitrifying bacteria' (as a general term) exist in both fw and sw systems, the specific types are that exist in each environment are very different. Same principle applies to treating a fw fish with salinity or using hyposalinity with a sw fish.

A bit of filter media from an established FW tank is all you need to seed a new setup. If you're planning on stocking the zebra danio glofish you really should start with at least a 20 long rather than an 8-10 gallon tank. Most likely a good bit less expensive and certainly a better setup to go to your lfs and get the tank, glass top, and an aquaclear 30 or 50 hob filter than one of the smaller kits commonly sold with pics of glofish on the box.

Back
Top Bottom