Small hillstream loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are there any species of hillstream loach which are readily available that I could get away with putting in a dedicated ten gallon or is that too much of a stretch? I have looked but haven't found anything so I was wondering if someone else knew of any. Thanks in advance!

Are there any species of hillstream loach which are readily available that I could get away with putting in a dedicated ten gallon or is that too much of a stretch? I have looked but haven't found anything so I was wondering if someone else knew of any. Thanks in advance!

I doubt it. I think a 20 Long might be the smallest ? They need a lot of flow and oxygen. Check Loaches Online for good info.

Thanks for the quick reply! I figured as much but I will be sure to check out that site!

They don't give tank size requirements but they do give length. What length should I be looking for, or does it matter? The smallest I found was 2"...

you could probley get away with a small group of otocinclus. Most non schooling algae eaters get too big for a 10 gallon. Oto's are like dwarf plecos and can be lots of fun in the right conditions.:)

you could probley get away with a small group of otocinclus. Most non schooling algae eaters get too big for a 10 gallon. Oto's are like dwarf plecos and can be lots of fun in the right conditions.:)

Thanks for the advice! I think I will do that, but I have heard they can be delicate. Is that true?

Thanks for the advice! I think I will do that, but I have heard they can be delicate. Is that true?

They are WC. Look for full tummies and good fins. If they make it through the first couple of weeks mine usually do great. I sometimes lose a new one, but since I have a 2 week guarantee, I'll replace them. I rarely lose any. I have 4 currently. 2 are over two years in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom