Small predator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cuse1992

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking for an interesting fish. I would like to find something that is predatory. Max tank size is a 30. Any suggestions?

I really want someting that will be interesting to watch and that I can keep throughout its life.

when you say predatory what do you mean? are you looking for something that you can feed other fish or shrimp and watch them get killed or what?

Pike Top Minnows are really interesting, they look like miniature oike except they're a celophane white. They're livebearers, they don't get overly big and they van eat large platys and other fish and live foods, they're really cool but not very common, if you want a interesting exotic fish this is the way to go.

Piranhas if they are legal in your state. You can get them small...but make sure they have a tank that is large enough.

But to be honest..its not a very good thing to do to use live fish. If the live feeder fish has a disease..your predator can get it also and die.

Check out the Tetraodon suvattii "Arrowhead puffer". They can be very sedentary, so it may not fit your idea of interesting to watch, though.

I vote the convicts. If you begin breeding your own feeders it would be very entertaining to watch. However, I would suggest sticking to pellets for the health of your fish.

i always like paradise fish myself, they are a$$holes to everything in your tank, they chew on live plants, they will eat feeder fish, they WILL kick the crap out of all your other fish, if u have any. in a 30 gallon you could only keep one, unless you really want a show, buy a female to go with the male or vise versa, but thats cruel. there cousins to the siamese fighting fish, so they inherit the aggression, but paradise fish are much bigger, and get pretty big if kept in optimal conditions.

Through our PM's my vote was a red wolf fish, but I didn't see you were in Florida, they are illegal there.

So my new vote is a couple Butis Butis (aka Crazy Fish).. these guys are great. I'm looking for one for my oddball tank.

Back
Top Bottom