Small white bugs/worms??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cutegirlonline

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to freshwater tanks, so please forgive me if similar posts have been made.
I have been trying to follow Diana Walstead's natural tank style with a substrate, heat and light source, plants, but no filters. (however I have recently considered adding one) I have anacharis, anubias nana, and some type of aquatic grass. I had a floating plant but it did not do so well. The thing is, I was away for about a month with the light on a timer and my roommate had been refilling my tank with conditioned water while I was away (due to the virus going on). When I came back, I started doing water changes again and have been doing it every five days or so, vacuuming the gravel. The vine plant is doing well, the grass plant and the anubias are ok. There must have been a snail egg on the vine plant that I added before I went away, because now there are MANY snails. Whatever, they don't bother me. BUT I also see some white bug looking things on the glass of the 5 gallon tank. I have been trying for weeks to figure out what they are. I notice small balls that almost look like mucus with small white specks inside. I was fishing them out when I noticed them, but they always come back. I believe they are eggs for these tiny white creatures. I was also noticing small squiggly worms that google said may have been detritus worms, or even nematodes. I take these out when I notice immediately, but I am not sure that they are detritus because I don't see them in the substrate. Only towards the top of the tank on the glass. The white bug/worms jump around on the plants and walls. I have no fish in the tank yet. I can include a photo but for now I'm just wondering, what are these things???

images

Here are two images. It was really hard to catch them as they move fast. Although in the picture at the top of tank you can see the bigger white creature, the "dust" that looks like it is on the glass (in the water) is actually more of these tiny creatures.
The other picture with the pink circles are showing the "eggs" (left) and two blurry white creatures (right circle)

Thank you

Attachments

• wall img.jpg
    wall img.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 47
  • worm img.jpg
    worm img.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 46
I can't help you but I hope this sentence can actually change your point of view..

"Natural tank = biology diversity"

The little ball guys could be species of copeopods. Common in tanks, fish will eat them.

Back
Top Bottom