Snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tdemler68

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wanted to add one snail To my tank just for looks! I like the idea of one and would like only one! What is the bio load of one of these? My tank is Fairly new with two plecos in it

As far as i know snails dont count on bioload. Most of them do poop a lot though but 1 snail is good enough. I have 1 in my 3.5g betta tank.

Snails do have a bioload, as anything that eats and poops does. If you want only one snail in a newish tank, probably a mystery snail would be best, as they need a male and female to reproduce. Nerite eggs don't hatch in freshwater but they need a tank with a little algae as they don't seem to eat veggies or pellets very well, at least not in my tank. Rabbit snails are also cool, although they may eat some live plants. If you get a female rabbit snail, though, it is possible she will produce babies, although not at a very fast rate. AqAdvisor is a good place to double check the stocking bioload of your tank.

If you get a young snail they usually are not fertilized. But some types of snails do not need a partner. What type of snail are you interested in so we can specifically answer your question?

Last edited:
I wanted to add one snail To my tank just for looks! I like the idea of one and would like only one! What is the bio load of one of these? My tank is Fairly new with two plecos in it
What type and size tank do you have? What type of snail do you like?

I have a 55 gallon tank and I have no idea what kind of snails I like as I am new haha

I love snails and highly recommend them. I really like our rabbit snails.

We have rabbits, mysteries, nerites, assassins, and ramshorns. If you went ramshorns, go for the giant.

Back
Top Bottom