Snails?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ganondwarf2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I'm pretty new to the fish keeping hobby tho I've done a ton of research. I wanted to ask what the best ways of getting rid of snails are. I have not figured out how. I don't like how snails look and I brought them in on accident when I bought a new plant for my tank and saw the snails today. I wanna know how to get rid of them permanently even though I know they are good for a fish tank also since I have algae but I want them out anyway. Also how do I remove snails or snail eggs off of a plant after purchased before putting it in my tank?

So I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I'm pretty new to the fish keeping hobby tho I've done a ton of research. I wanted to ask what the best ways of getting rid of snails are. I have not figured out how. I don't like how snails look and I brought them in on accident when I bought a new plant for my tank and saw the snails today. I wanna know how to get rid of them permanently even though I know they are good for a fish tank also since I have algae but I want them out anyway. Also how do I remove snails or snail eggs off of a plant after purchased before putting it in my tank?

i recently just had a snail outbreak in my tank. my suggestion is to check the plant before putting it in the tank and just bring the snails back to the local pet store they will take them back. some people just flush them though which i do not recommend. if u see them in ur tank just grab them or scoop them out with ur hand. i have long nails so i just scooped all 38 snails out of my tank with my nail, put them in a bag with water and brought them to the pet store.

Could alum powder be used straight into my tank to kill the snails and snail eggs?

You can try chemical treatments (copper-based) if you're really desperate, although I would only recommend those as a last resort. Either make a snail trap and remove them manually, or get assassin snails to kill them off. But tbh if you keep the tank clean and don't overfeed, the snails won't multiply out of control. Most established tanks have snails in them & usually they don't pose much of a problem.

I wouldn't add alum directly to the fish tank, it is best used as a dip, and you should rinse the plants carefully to remove any remaining powder before you put them in the aquarium. You can also dip new plants in potassium permanganate or hydrogen peroxide to kill off any external parasites/snails that might be attached to them, but some of the more delicate plants might not always react well to this, so be careful.

If your fish tank is big enough to accommodate other fishes, you might consider putting some snail-eating fish in it. Loaches such as the clown loach, yoyo loach, and zebra loach are among the more famous snail eaters, especially by those fish-keepers who have large fish tanks.

I would not recommend putting alum directly into the tank!!
And alum soak should be done before the plants are introduced to kill off any eggs/snails..
There is a GREAT video of it by 'girl talks fish' on YouTube!!
However, I chose to use as little 'chemicals' as possible in my tanks...
Also, I like SOME snails. They help ALOT more than you would think!!
However, I do remove eggs from glass, plants & decorations with a Qtip and or tweezers.
Also pull out any snails I see along the way and dispose of them if there are too many in tank..
It is a tough battle to be honest..
And you have to keep up on it EVERY DAY!
but eventually, the numbers will fall.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom