So here's my family's tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpulido0316

Aquarium Advice Regular
I feel like there's a lot going wrong and I'm having a hard time telling them. They leave the light on all the time cause the fish go crazy when it's off (sporadic movement back and forth) which caused an algae problem and I'm pretty sure they didn't cycle their tank past the pest "recommendation" of 24hrs. I feel bad for the fish but I'm not really sure what to say. I also don't want the kids to experience fish death since they're pretty attached.

Can y'all help? Also point out if you think anything else could be wrong with it. Thanks guys.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1426174075204.jpg
    1426174075204.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 114
I would suggest buying a freshwater test kit because you will be doing an in fish cycle

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you know how the nitrogen cycle works then follow your instincts. If the ammonia or nitrites are too high start doing partial water changes about 50 percent try not to disturbe the gravel because thats where your beneficial bacteria are. No beneficial bacteria live in water so just take the water out

Op: because your fish are already stressed from the ammonia or nitrites being high it is really important to make sure when you add the new water it is almost the exact same temp as the water in the tank you dont want to stress them out even more. And also make sure you use the water condition in the new water before putting it in the tank.

And these are tropical fish and need a heater it doesnt look like you have one

Well they're not mine. It's my relatives (aunt, uncle, their kids) so I can't do the pwc or anything like that. So I'm not sure. I told them they need a heater and to leave the light off and to check the water and stuff like that but how do am I supposed to convince them?

If you know how the nitrogen cycle works then follow your instincts. If the ammonia or nitrites are too high start doing partial water changes about 50 percent try not to disturbe the gravel because thats where your beneficial bacteria are. No beneficial bacteria live in water so just take the water out

It's actually debatable whether there is BB in substrate. 99% lives in the filter.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Im not sure how to convince them maybe show them a video of the cycling process but im sure those fish are going to die. The fish freak out when they turn the light off because they dont have a heater and the light is the only warmth they are getting so when the light is off the temperature drops

Well if they don't do water changes. Eventually the fish will die from ammonia in an uncycled tank. That or an algae/diatom outbreak from the lights.

I'm sure that would get their attention.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

But when your first cycle your aquarium especially with fish you need all the bb you can get

Pull up the fish on the web and their temp range then show them a thermometer in the tank.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

But when your first cycle your aquarium especially with fish you need all the bb you can get

It's really so little it hardly makes a difference.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

They're not that read up on fish. Im telling them all that I know now. They do cycles and they already have an algae outbreak. They're going to look into getting a heater and a thermometer. They didn't know about that. Honestly, I'm surprised theyre still alive.

They're not that read up on fish. Im telling them all that I know now. They do cycles and they already have an algae outbreak. They're going to look into getting a heater and a thermometer. They didn't know about that. Honestly, I'm surprised theyre still alive.

Looks like tetras you have. They are pretty strong fish. We can give you tons of advice but nothing will matter if they don't take the advice.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yeah they are. Well they seem willing. They've had them for awhile. And I've told them not to replace the filter and about cycling and what they have to do. I'm getting them a heater I used to have for a ten gallon and a thermometer. My aunt seemed kind of shocked that there was more to fish keeping than fish and a tank. I think y'all helped a lot. I hope they learned some stuff.

It also looks like the aquarium is in the middle of a kitchen island. I would suggest they either move it to back up against a wall, or add a solid background to one of the long sides. The fish probably feel very exposed and need more hiding spaces.

My guess is that cycling isn't the issue here. Looks like a lot of evaporation already and algae, that takes some time usually. I think general aquarium maintenance is something they should learn about.

As far as the light goes, ask them to sleep with a bright light on about 10 inches over their heads, 'cause that's what they're doing to their fish. Well, you probably shouldn't be that rude, but explain to them fish don't have 24 light in the wild and need a night cycle. It's all about circadian rhythms (back in college biology almost 40 years ago there was a video where they placed a rat in a bell and rang it while it was awake, nothing happened, they did it again during the rat's normal sleep cycle and the rat went into seizures and appeared to have died). Odds are the wild swimming is what happens when they suddenly turn lights on in a dark tank, and maybe what happens when they suddenly turn lights off in a lit tank. Not much you can do about the turning the lights off thing other than leaving the room light on for a few minutes, as far as turning the lights on, either do it after there's some daylight or the room light has been on for 15 minutes or so.

Back
Top Bottom