So how much $ to set up your first real tank (planted,fresh)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Money spent on first planted tank

• 0-100

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • 101-250

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • 251-400

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • 401-600

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 601-850

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 850+

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Coursair imagine my best Napoleon Dynamite voice saying "Lucky". You have awesome skills in bargains.

I was very lucky ! My club is awesome. It's the largest and oldest I think Aquatic Plant Club in the US. Heck getting to pick Tom Barr's brain in person is pretty cool too. Plus AquaForest usually hosts our December meeting.

Back ON topic...I managed to vote in the poll.

I'm using the app on my iPhone. If you see three dots at top right of the thread header ...
Press those and one of my options is Web View

Or look up using your browser.
I tried that, but it just went back to the app. I will have to try again when I get a chance to use my actual computer.

I tried that, but it just went back to the app. I will have to try again when I get a chance to use my actual computer.

I had to hit cancel when it offered the app. But I'm on an iPhone 6s Plus. It can be frustrating using a phone, but it's my main computer. I can use Safari, but again I have to decline offer to open app and then click for full site/desktop.

I tried again (I'm on the iphone) and it works here so I don't know more unfortunately. Should work fine on a computer.

I tried again (I'm on the iphone) and it works here so I don't know more unfortunately. Should work fine on a computer.

Same thing here. On an iPhone (6c, iOS version 10.1.1). While viewing this thread in the AA app, click on the ellipsis (3 dots) in the upper right corner. In the next screen, select Web View. This should display a page with voting options.

If you are still looking for plants to buy, go to aquariumco-op.com. He has some of the healthiest plants on the market. They do cost a little more than pet-co but they will not disappoint! You can buy a plant package for about $70 including shipping. Plus $20 fertilizer that is also great. Check out his YouTube and he will tell you what you need!

https://m.youtube.com/user/AquariumCoop

The tank I did spend money on was my Rimless 10g
Seastar flat back Rimless 10g I got a deal on it. $25 new from club member ($80 at stores)

Archea LED clip on fixture $75(?)

Eheim Ecco 2232 Canister on sale $60(?)

Custom Lily Pipes $20 from club member

DIY Root Tabs $8/100

Black Beauty Blasting Sand , free from club

Rare Crypts and other plants free.

Betta already owned
IMG_0142.jpg
IMG_0160.jpg
IMG_0172.jpgIMG_0190.jpg

setting up a planted tank doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg, but aquarium keeping is an awesome hobby, and i find myself having spent much more money on having fun with it than the set up!

setting up a planted tank doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg, but aquarium keeping is an awesome hobby, and i find myself having spent much more money on having fun with it than the set up!

Was told by a friend of mine that the $ I spend for my hobby is pretty cheap compared with say boating - speed, water skiing, sailing which is theirs.

So really cheap compared to racing, 4 wheelers, off roading, hiking /camping, photography, hunting, shooting, etc! Even bicycling, all common hobbies in our area.

Last edited:
Was told by a friend of mine that the $ I spend for my hobby is pretty cheap compared with say boating - speed, water skiing, sailing which is theirs.

So really cheap compared to racing, 4 wheelers, off roading, hiking /camping, photography, hunting, shooting, etc! Even bicycling, all common hobbies in our area.
Lol thats the way im going to look at it. When you have no lfs, box stores close or anything its pretty expensive.

When I decided I was going to set up a tank again I drove 45 minutes to closest lfs. Everything I asked for or about he looked at me like I was crazy. Lol.

Amazon......it is lol

When asked about my spend I consistently point out to my husband that I could give up my aquariums and begin collecting shoes or jewelry....or tools just like him!

Conversation over....

When asked about my spend I consistently point out to my husband that I could give up my aquariums and begin collecting shoes or jewelry....or tools just like him!

Conversation over....

LOL! every time my husband gives me a hard time for heading to the pet store again, i remind him that fishkeepong is considerably less expensive than his hobbies! what $40 here and there... LOL

Back
Top Bottom