So, I just went to Walmart...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackiee

Aquarium Advice Regular
and found some pretty good deals!

This Christmas, my parents have decided to let me get a fish tank. I'm hoping on a 29 gallon or more, and I finally got to go to Walmart to see what kind of fish things they had there. The budget per kid in the family for gifts is $200.

I found a 29 gallon kit that came with a heater, filter with extra cartridge, water conditioner, food, net, instructions, and digital thermometer for about $94. Does this sound like a good deal?

I also saw a 55 gallon (one I would really like, as well!) With the same kit supplies, this costing about $144.

Do these sounds like good deals?

I'd get the 55 gal but it would depend on how much room you have to install the tank. They sound like good deals to me, tanks here are more expensive by far. Congrats on whichever tank you decide to go with. Remember to do a fishless cycle. Here is a link that will explain it, you can use ammonia instead of shrimp to start the cycle. Your fish will definately thank you for it in the long run.

take zagz advice and do a fishless cycle the cycling with fish is giving me a huge headache and if I would have know about the fishless I would have done it also I have read the bigger the tank the easier it is to take care unfortantaly my tank was a hand me down and its a 20 gal long but with all the toys and upgrades I put into it still manages to spend 200 hundred dollars. well enjoy the new tank and good luck

My boyfriend has the 29gal Wal-mart kit. It's not bad, but expect to buy a new heater... and we've had it for over two years and the filter kinda crapped out. Granted, when it did I was in a hurry and just hooked in a spare filter instead of messing with it for too long... so it might still work but it was giving us problems.

I'd go ahead and get that kit *nod*

your also going to need a tank stand.. those kits don't come with a stand and the stand can be a bit pricey. If i were you id go with a 29 gallon because.. especially if its going to be in your bedroom... unless you have room for the 55 gallon then go for it! But don't forget to factor in the price of the stand and let them know about it as well/

I'd get the 55G. You will also need a stand, which at Walmart, they have a nice one for about 79.00 more. Then you will be set. Might see if they can bump the $ limit a little so you can get the stand, and a good test kit. Then you would have a really nice setup.

Here's my Walmart stand. I got the tank from a friend, and he got it from Walmart. The sand is pool filter stand, and all the plants I got from Big Al's Online. And the driftwood from Petco. And the white quartz from my yard. :)

tank14.jpg

Get the 55, if you get the 29 you will be wanting bigger in less then a month.

Mudfrog said:
Get the 55, if you get the 29 you will be wanting bigger in less then a month.
Agreed.

You could also save $$ by doing a home-made stand. My tanks (2 29 gallons) sit about 2 feel off the floor on milk crates, with a peice of scrap wood on top, then some styrofoam, all covered with a cloth. didn't cost me anything!

Back
Top Bottom