So my tank is FINALLY cycled (with fish)...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jinkel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
However, I've been reading, and realize that my substrate may not be appropriate for my fish. I've got two Orandas and one Black Moor. The substrate I currently have is the standard (small) gravel-like stuff.

- Do I need to get the larger, smooth pebbles/stones so the fish don't choke?

- If so, would I just lay them on top of the gravel I already have in there? I'm very nervous about doing anything that might upset the good bacteria in there (i.e, removing the gravel), as I've finally just got it where I don't have to do 50% pwc's twice a day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, of course!

Removing the gravel wouldn't be a big deal because the vast majority of that "good bacteria" lives in the filter, yeah some of it is in the gravel but not enough to start your cycle all over again. If your worried about your fish, change the gravel if you feel it'll help, cause it sure won't hurt. :)

Oh, what a relief! I'll feel so much better getting bigger (smooth) river rocks. I've already seen one of my Orandas (should've named him Dyson ;)) get a rock stuck in his mouth (which he eventually ejected, but scary, nonetheless). I really REALLY don't want him to choke.

Thanks for replying so quickly!

I agree with big j, most of your bacteria lives in the filter, nevertheless, I heard that some people experience a mini cycle when changing the substrate, but should be not a big issue.

IMO I don't think that Dyson will choke with the pebbles, my suggestion to you is to wait a little more before you change the substrate, you mentioned that you just finished the cycle with fish, that finally you are not doing daily PWC, so I believe that you still have not a strong levels of good bacteria, just enough, to maintain the cycle, so I will wait 4 more weeks to keep developing a strong colony before I introduce another change. This is my opinion.

I have not heard of orandas choking with their own substrate, like pebbles, but let's see if somebody here have more experience.
:D

Back
Top Bottom