Soap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
My coworker is giving me her old 10 gallon tank. It's been sitting in her garage for at least a year, but before she put it out there, she washed it with soap. Of course I'll clean it with fresh water (no soap, of course) but is there something else I should do? Sit it in the sun, perhaps? Or do you think enough time has passed that I shouldn't worry about it?

Thanks for your help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is there any other equipment or just the tank ? I wouldn't hesitate to sterilize it with a 10% bleach solution if you're getting all the components. Run for 8 hours, drain, rinse, fill with fresh tap and run for 12-24 hours. Repeat the drain and refill with fresh tap and allow to run another 12-24 hours. Drain and allow to air dry for 24 hours.

Next step. First tank ? Stocking ideas ? Familiar with cycling ? How can we help ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Thank you for responding. I'm always a little afraid of using anything other than straight water. Actually, I have a filter that came with my 26g that I replaced with a stronger filter. I'm moving a betta from a 5 gallon to the 10. I've been researching how to slow the flow and hoping a pair of hose and a sponge will help me out. I also have an old heater another friend gave me. Hopefully it still works.

I'd love to put a pair of ADF in with the betta but when I tried it in the 5g one attacked my betta. I wonder with a little more room if they'd be a little nicer.

Thanks again for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom