Some advice for a new aquarist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BubbledCity

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I've just recently started keeping fish. Just some background info:

About 4 days ago I set up a ten gallon tank primarily for my twin tail betta, Scarlett. After setting it up and everything I figured it was big enough now to add in some compatible fish. So I went to the local pet store and got one Corydora, accidentally one guppy fry (he scooped it up with the cory accidentally) and 6 ghost shrimp.

After 2 days, things seemed to be in the rhythm of things. Recently, however, I've noticed some odd things. Yesterday alone I saw what looked like a shrimp ripped in half (or maybe a shell?) And the biggest shrimp in the tank turned up dead. Because of the ripped shrimp, I removed Scarlett back into his one gallon with the moss ball and a couple floating plants. Also, there's no heater OR filter yet but I did a 40% water change the other day.

A couple questions:
-How long should I leave the Cory without any others? I can't get any more until next Friday.
-Why are the shrimp dying?

Read the article in my signature about new to fish keeping.

Betta will often eat shrimp, they are a natural food source. Molt their exoskeleton, and can be eaten by other Ghost shrimp when they are vulnerable after molting or sometimes aren't very well after shipping and changing water/tanks a few times.

I wouldn't recommend adding much of anything without installing a heater and filter in your tank. Aquarium fish are very temperature sensitive, and high temperature variation can stress them out, which leads to a repressed immune system. Filtration helps circulate the water and the media (stuff inside the filter) helps remove undesirable stuff like nitrates from the water. Live plants are great at that too! Good luck and happy fishkeeping :)

I wouldn't recommend adding much of anything without installing a heater and filter in your tank. Aquarium fish are very temperature sensitive, and high temperature variation can stress them out, which leads to a repressed immune system. Filtration helps circulate the water and the media (stuff inside the filter) helps remove undesirable stuff like nitrates from the water. Live plants are great at that too! Good luck and happy fishkeeping :)
Yup! I've got a heater and filter now and I'm letting things kind of cycle before I consider anything more.

Great! Sounds like you've got everything on track. If you ever have algae problems I would recommend some otocinclus catfish, they are pure gold.

Back
Top Bottom