Somewhat new 75 gal. lots of questions. pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it possible you have a lot of crud under the gravel? If stuff is decaying in there, that could spike the nitrates.

I wouldn't do preventative antibiotics, even the natural Melafix. As we are learning with humans, too much antibiotic use encourages resistant bacteria, and kills gut bacteria that make up good immunity.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I changed the substrate like 2 weeks ago, stirring the stuff up could have caused a spike i suppose.... But the water was pretty much crystal the whole time. I completely removed the gravel and put in the sand very slowly.
I can deal with high nitrates for a while i just want my fish to stop dying....

Edit:
Just tested both my tap water and tank water(did a 40% or so water change monday) tap has 0ppm nitrates and my tank is at around 20 ppm.

I always thought nitrates should be a lot lower than some of the levels you've mentioned. A max of 20 you have plants but not any higher.

Did I miss mention of your tanks temp? Don't turtle lights put out heat? If you're heating the tank when the lights are on, the temp swings could be making the fish sick.

Also, mollies and blue gouramis are notorious for being delicate, from what I understand.

Have you had your tank and tap water tested at the store?

Lower is better but it would be pretty hard to keep most tanks at 10ppm. I try to target under 20ppm but generally don't worry about it too much as long as it is under 30ppm.

Trying to keep them around 20, and there are quite a few live plants in there. my temp is 77-79 F consistent.

So I went back and read it all ...

I think the fish losses and illnesses were from the lack of water changes. It hasn't been that long since you started doing more.

The nitrate tests are notoriously hard to read, I suspect you might be starting the week higher than 15 or ending lower than 50. Sometimes in this case the strips are easier so you can see the movement. Or dilute the test sample .5 ml tank water to 4.5 distilled. If you're truly at 20 nitrate or below, it'll read as 2 (almost clear).

It would likely be a good thing to water change down to where you're sure the nitrates are about 5-10.

The fish may also be stressing for lack of companions. In a tank that big and open, it'd be kind to go with 6 of each schooling species.

Still wondering about that turtle lamp too ...

So I went back and read it all ...

I think the fish losses and illnesses were from the lack of water changes. It hasn't been that long since you started doing more.

The nitrate tests are notoriously hard to read, I suspect you might be starting the week higher than 15 or ending lower than 50. Sometimes in this case the strips are easier so you can see the movement. Or dilute the test sample .5 ml tank water to 4.5 distilled. If you're truly at 20 nitrate or below, it'll read as 2 (almost clear).

It would likely be a good thing to water change down to where you're sure the nitrates are about 5-10.

The fish may also be stressing for lack of companions. In a tank that big and open, it'd be kind to go with 6 of each schooling species.

Still wondering about that turtle lamp too ...

I had 2 massive red eared sliders for 10 years, they passed though. It helps keep my water temp up.
Also i just got this opaline gourami 5 days ago, and its just starting to exhibit signs of dropsy. could that still be attributed to the high nitrate levels (highest they have been since she was added was like 40).

And i dont have 5 or six of each schooling species but i have 3 at a minimum. usually one male rest female.

Yes its the same tank I switched from gravel to the sand. There are 2 different sands. Black sand I boight from the lfs. And pool filter sand on the other side (washed very well, ect.

I have noticed now some of the fish do have white poop but I feed them red flakes. So maybe a parasite?

Thanks for getting back about this and the tap water parameters. It was something else to try and rule out.

The white poop is some concern. It could be a parasite but it could also be just from stress. I think you said it's a new fish ? Part of the stress that's associated with fish is being in less than recommended group sizes.

Here's the plan I would go with for now. No more fish for a while. It will save you a few bucks at the LFS and some piece of mind. When this does get settled down and straightened out, get a sponge filter and stick it in your 75. You can use that in another tank for QT or HT as needed.

I don't know why, but something keeps bringing me back to the turtle. Probably because I have no experience with them. Maybe a reptile person will see this and be able to give some advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Back
Top Bottom