Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

spicing my 16gal up. need suggestions

Right now i have 4 neon tetra and 2 swordtails. I have had this tank for over a year, just looking to brighten it up. Maybe more fish, maybe decorations. Just looking for some good suggestions! thanks

Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd add 2 more Neons. They like to school.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

here is the list of fish I have that are really cool and dont't kill each other
1. Small Angelfish (if they are the smallest ones you can find they wont hurt tetras and they need a companion)
2. Fancy Guppies (always brighten the tank with colors)
3. Mickey Mouse Platys ( really cool)
4. Black mollies ( they always make the tank interesting because they are totally black and always look misterious)
Old 10-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #4
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

IMO, angels do not belong in a 16g tank at all, and especially not with that many fish already in it.

I agree about adding 2 more neons to make a proper school.
Some other fish that could work IMO would be black neons, glowlight tetras, glowlight danios (not glofish), and some smaller species of rasbora.
More plants is always a good thing IMO. It really makes the fish colors pop out.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have 2 angelfish in my 10gal and they are perfectly fine and are the best fish i have ever had
Old 10-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfish898
I have 2 angelfish in my 10gal and they are perfectly fine and are the best fish i have ever had
A 10g is no home for an angel. They get quite large and if not in a mating pair can get very aggressive towards each other when reaching sexual maturity. I am by no means an angel expert but they do not belong in a 10g. I wouldn't even keep one in my 17g. You need to do some serious research into the fish in your tank. Learn about them and their needs. Your tank is way over stocked.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfish898 View Post
I have rescued a couple of angels out of 10g tanks. They certainly still swam around, but they were definitely stunted and were not able to show their true spectrum of behaviors in such a small environment. I certainly know they can live, but that doesn't really mean they are fine. If you don't belive me, feel free to start a thread about the minimum tank size for angels and see what other people have experienced or have to say.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FastFly67
I'd look into getting a dwarf variety of gourami as a centerpiece fish, bring the school of neons up to about 10-12 and get rid of the swordtails and add a small 6-8 school of pygmy or habrosus cories. That should give you movement in all levels of the aquarium. Add some live plants and a nice peice of driftwood, a nerite snail and you'll have an active beautiful tank in no time. The plants will help to keep your levels down but you'll still have to be vigilant with your weekly maintenance
Old 10-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by somal
Right now i have 4 neon tetra and 2 swordtails. I have had this tank for over a year, just looking to brighten it up. Maybe more fish, maybe decorations. Just looking for some good suggestions! thanks
I'm sorry I kind of hijacked your thread a little bit.

I have a school of 10 neon tetras in my 17g and they are really beautiful to watch when they school together. So I would suggest fill your school out not to just 6 but 10.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com