Sponge filter vs hob on a 20 long tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass95

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to set up corydoras and cherry shrimp tank. Im interested in false julii (Corydoras trilineatus). I am having a hard time choosing what type of filtration I want. I don't want a loud hob because the tank will be in my bedroom. I have tried aquaclear on another tank and it was loud. I found a SunSun canister 603 but the media is composed of sponges. However wouldn't that be the same as a sponge filter? Would a sponge filter be acceptable on a 20 long tank?
Also I do weekly 50% WC on all my tanks.

The appropriately sized sponge filter would work fine imo. However, the bubbles from the sponge filters aren't very quiet imo either.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Swiss Tropicals has a sponge filter with a spout that's very quiet. We have a tank with two such and it's quieter than the humidifier.

Swiss Tropicals has a sponge filter with a spout that's very quiet. We have a tank with two such and it's quieter than the humidifier.

Very interesting! I've never heard of them. I checked out their website, and I'm intrigued to say the least. Do you mind posting up some pictures of your Swiss Tropical sponge filters?

The appropriately sized sponge filter would work fine imo. However, the bubbles from the sponge filters aren't very quiet imo either.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are the bubbles just as loud as a hob?

if it were me I would use both, but I'm all about redundancy, plus you can utilize the HOB filter in various ways by using different media, ;)

40b with a 15"x9.45" 30ppi corner filter, pump with clear hose to spray bar. $32 for the custom Poret and two glass braces that were siliconed in place.

20L with two 45ppi corner kits that included lifters. I'd need to ask Bpophoto how much his kits cost.

Tanks cycled fine, no extra filtration necessary. The 40 has 6 ember tetras, 4 celestial pearl danio, 2 dojo loaches, 3 emerald cories, 1 black kuhli loach, 7 dwarf shrimp, 4 mystery snails and a nice colony of Malaysian trumpet snails.

The 20 has 15 endlers (some fry), 4 dwarf shrimp and 2 assassin snails.

The force isn't enough to stick anything but floating plants to the foam. The 45ppi is recommended for fry, the pores are too small for shrimp or fish to get stuck in. As I said before, the 20 in the bedroom is silent. Not so much on the 40 with the spray bar at current water level. If I take the water level up to the spray bar, that goes silent as well.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451420069.851287.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451420069.851287.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 79
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451420086.919620.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451420086.919620.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 161
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451420114.690060.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451420114.690060.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 86
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451420138.859660.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451420138.859660.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 80
I think I will use sponge filter and hob together.

I have one hob that is quiet but the flow is horrible. By the third day, there is basically no water coming out. So I think if I use a sponge filter with it, I should be fine.

I have one hob that is quiet but the flow is horrible. By the third day, there is basically no water coming out. So I think if I use a sponge filter with it, I should be fine.

I tell you what....I added a sponge filter to both of my Fluval Spec V's and it's amazing how much better everything is. Try it. I imagine you will be happy.

Back
Top Bottom