Sponge Scrunge/Dirty filter Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dlee13

Aquarium Advice Activist
The guy at my LFS said their sponges are too large to give away but he could squeeze the contents out into a bag for me to add to my filter to help kickstart the cycle, what I was wondering is does this help just as much as seeded media? Or is it not worth it? I understand the risks of transferring diseases but their tanks are clean and fish seem healthy, I also plan to buy from them once my tank is ready so I see them as being safe and reliable.

After my last fishless cycle failed I had a 6 month break and I'm ready to start again and luckily this time I have a LFS willing to help.

Do it! That's how I saved my overstocked fish-in cycles when I had noooo clueeee what I was doing, 1week cycle;)

Thanks, I would of added the whole thing to the filter if you hadn't told me! Should I let the tank run for a few days before adding it?
wouldnt hurt, get the temp stable. Are you using prime for water changes?

Sweet! Keep us posted! What size tank? Stock ideas yet?

Thanks and I will :D it's a 20g/70L and I plan to get a Betta, some Neon Tetra and some Peppered Cory! I got a Fluval U3 as my filter, kinda wish I didn't think so cheaply and bought a Fluval canister though!

Can you return it? Aqua clear 50 would be great, I'm leaning towards putting one on my 20.

Can you return it? Aqua clear 50 would be great, I'm leaning towards putting one on my 20.

Na I bought it nearly 6 months ago now and was from Amazon US and I live in Aus so quite a lot of trouble. Also I checked out the Aqua Clear 50 and that's a HOB filter right? I've read Betta's are jumpers and I also have a cat so using a filter that has no lid on it isn't really an option :(

Na I bought it nearly 6 months ago now and was from Amazon US and I live in Aus so quite a lot of trouble. Also I checked out the Aqua Clear 50 and that's a HOB filter right? I've read Betta's are jumpers and I also have a cat so using a filter that has no lid on it isn't really an option :(
Fair enough, maybe double up and put one in each corner? I have 2 cars and they got bored with the tanks real quick.

Fair enough, maybe double up and put one in each corner? I have 2 cars and they got bored with the tanks real quick.

One filter in each corner? Mine didn't show much attention to my tank the last time I tried cycling it, but he has a tendency to do something if he knows he's not allowed to so I don't want to take the risk haha. From what I read I'll be happy with the U3, I just wish I had done more research into Canister Filters before I bought the u3!. I may add one later down the track either way. What's your opinion on Aqadvisor if you use it purely for stocking numbers?

One filter in each corner? Mine didn't show much attention to my tank the last time I tried cycling it, but he has a tendency to do something if he knows he's not allowed to so I don't want to take the risk haha. From what I read I'll be happy with the U3, I just wish I had done more research into Canister Filters before I bought the u3!. I may add one later down the track either way. What's your opinion on Aqadvisor if you use it purely for stocking numbers?
Yup!can Never have enough filtration! I really only use it get an idea of how stocked my tank actually is, and how well filtered it is, for fish compatibility and needs I just search through the internet or ask someone on here.

Yup!can Never have enough filtration! I really only use it get an idea of how stocked my tank actually is, and how well filtered it is, for fish compatibility and needs I just search through the internet or ask someone on here.

Also if I was to start another tank, which I doubt I would, it would have a filter ready to go! Yeah I've been using it that way too but did a lot of research on how Betta's get along with both cory's and Neon Tetras. I'm very eager to start the aquarium now, been nearly a year since I first planned starting it!

Also if I was to start another tank, which I doubt I would, it would have a filter ready to go! Yeah I've been using it that way too but did a lot of research on how Betta's get along with both cory's and Neon Tetras. I'm very eager to start the aquarium now, been nearly a year since I first planned starting it!
yup! I have two filters going on all my tanks, that way if I need/want to setup a new/hospy tank I just borrow a filter and boom ready to go! I've never had a betta but I'm guessing the Cory's will be fine unless they bop into him on an air run and the neons will most likely stay out of his way. Also keep in mind both neons and Cory's like friends (groups of 5+) It is very exciting firing up a new tank! Good luck and don't be afraid to post.

yup! I have two filters going on all my tanks, that way if I need/want to setup a new/hospy tank I just borrow a filter and boom ready to go! I've never had a betta but I'm guessing the Cory's will be fine unless they bop into him on an air run and the neons will most likely stay out of his way. Also keep in mind both neons and Cory's like friends (groups of 5+) It is very exciting firing up a new tank! Good luck and don't be afraid to post.

I've read many people do that since it's more positives than negatives, protects you too if one fails! I picked all of them since cory's seem to prefer the bottom, neons the middle and Betta the top so they will all have their own area and I also plan to add the Betta last so he doesn't think the whole tank is his! lol. Yeah I was thinking of 5 Cory and 8 Tetra, according to the stocking site that should be fine as well! Thanks and I will!

I've read many people do that since it's more positives than negatives, protects you too if one fails! I picked all of them since cory's seem to prefer the bottom, neons the middle and Betta the top so they will all have their own area and I also plan to add the Betta last so he doesn't think the whole tank is his! lol. Yeah I was thinking of 5 Cory and 8 Tetra, according to the stocking site that should be fine as well! Thanks and I will!
Good plan! I actually have 7 neons/cardinals and 6 habrosus Cory's in my 20! Pygmy Cory's are nice in a small tank, you can have more so the antics are still there! What are you using for substrate?

Good plan! I actually have 7 neons/cardinals and 6 habrosus Cory's in my 20! Pygmy Cory's are nice in a small tank, you can have more so the antics are still there! What are you using for substrate?

Thanks! I was originally going to get cardinals but from what I read they wouldn't suit my water and the neons would be better. I've read that cory's will play in a air stone so I can't wait to see that when I get them! I have a very fine gravel, I know Cory's prefer a sand substrate but I had some the last time I tried to set up the tank and I want to try something different this time.

Back
Top Bottom