Stalled cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update!
My nitrItes have been holding steady at "off-the-charts" for 15 days straight. I stopped dosing ammonia on 10/1 and have not done any water changes. I have an outbreak of diatoms.

TODAY: the nitrItes are dropping!!!!! The reading of the nitrItes test stays purple and does not turn aquamarine. I'm back on the charts at 5.0ppm+! So I decided to dose with ammonia.

My current readings: ammonia = 4.0ppm, nitrItes = 5.0ppm+

NitrAtes reads 5.0ppm, but it always has and I see this as a false reading. Besides any nitrAtes that get produced will instantly be sucked up by my nutrient starved plants, so I'm really not expecting to see any.

Once my ammonia goes from 4.0ppm to 0 with 0 nitrItes in under 24hrs, then I will declare my tank cycled and buy fish. /w00t

When you first see NitrItes appear, you should continue dosing with ammonia, but 1/2 the amount you initially dosed with.
This keeps the beneficial bacteria happy.
Only dose 1/2. and continue that.

Bob

Ammonia is down to 1.0ppm and nitrItes are holding steady at 5.0ppm. I'm going to dose with more ammonia later tonight.

I haven't had the most ideal cycle. After getting frustrated at the nitrItes and doing all those water changes and following all the advice on how to continue, I incorporated a "hands off" approach. I only tested nitrItes once a day and stopped dosing ammonia. Doing so gave me an intuitive insight (use the Force, Luke!)

So I'm going to dose my 4.0ppm ammonia, let it go to 0, then dose it again. I should see my nitrItes go down, albeit slowly, but I feel this is the best course for my tank right now.

Thanks for all the consideration and help. ~_^b

I see no reason to go to 4 again. 2 ppm will be more than enough with the nitrites spiking already. You will be waiting forever for the nitrite phase to end.

ya i agree i wouldnt dose more then 1-2 ppm. all you need is a little ammonia to keep the bactira alive. dont need to grow it anymore.

I thought I read that I need to dose 4-5ppm to add my full bioload after the cycle.

My cycle has already taken a monstrously long time that a few more weeks wouldn't phase me at this point.

The 2ppm will keep the bacteria well fed as you wait on the nitrites.

Ok. I will dose just half of the ammonia then.

My readings since nitrItes fell:
10/11: Ammonia 4.0, NitrItes 5.0+
10/12: Ammonia 2.0+, NitrItes 5.0
10/13: Ammonia 1.0+, NitrItes 5.0
10/14: Ammonia 0, NitrItes 5.0
~dosed 4ppm of ammonia
10/15: Ammonia 1.0, NitrItes 5.0
~dosed 4ppm of ammonia
Right now: Ammonia 2.0, NitrItes 5.0

Mmmm..I see the logic in it now. I apologize for my arrogance.

Back
Top Bottom