Start or wait for chemicals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captotterboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just about everything; filter, heater, substrate, air pump, light, and driftwood.

I know how I am going to set up the tank.

My first plants are coming Friday. My first fish the Friday after that or the week after.

The only thing I don't have is the chemicals. My Seachem Prime is supposed to arrive tomorrow or the day after.

Soooooooo... should I sit and be patient and wait for it to arrive in the mail or should I go ahead and fill the tank and get everything working?

I don't know that it would do any good... except let you play around with how you want it to look I guess.

It wouldn't do any harm to put chlorinated water in unless the tank is already cycled. If it's not and you already have fish on the way that could be a different sort of problem.

when you say "chemicals" can you elaborate?

Do you plan on doing Fish-in cycling or fish-less cycling?

If that is a foreign language to you, id encourage you to read the sticky thread and ask about cycling :) im sure glad I did

Since you have fish coming along already I would suggest that you have a look at this thread

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

There's absolutely no harm in getting it filled up now, in fact it would probably be beneficial because it will allow you the chance to play around with the placement of things before stuff starts arriving.

they don't have dechlor yet.

so if the tank is cycled already or they have established media... adding and running chlorinated water though the filter could do some harm.

But the OP hasn't responded yet to tell us if the tank is cycled.

The filter is brand new. I have not even taken the filer media out of the package yet.

I am going to do a fish-less cycle in order to get my plants a little more placed and established so I don't have to stress out anything in the tank with my intruding arm poking at things around the fish's new home. In theory, the first round of plants come in to my local pet store on Friday. In practice, only what the store could get will be coming in and I will be shopping on the classifieds if I can get some days above freezing around here (Delaware)

By chemicals I mean the Seachem Prime which is supposed to arrive tomorrow afternoon.

I am thinking I might fill it today but NOT run the filter until the Seachem comes in. At worst, it just means the tap water is sitting in the tank until tomorrow evening.

I just saw that my Caribsea Eco-Complete says to add dechlorinated water. So I don't think I want to add tap water until I can treat it when the Seachem Prime arrives tomorrow

I just saw that my Caribsea Eco-Complete says to add dechlorinated water. So I don't think I want to add tap water until I can treat it when the Seachem Prime arrives tomorrow
Eco complete is marketed as a "live sand" which is supposed to mean that it contains beneficial bacteria. Its really a ploy to make you spend money on water weight... just ignore that.

Back
Top Bottom