Started a tank in September, need some help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jstov96327

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!

I started a tank in September...It is a 22gallon corner table tank. I never had an interest in fish, it was a present for my new house. It is really pretty but along with it came tons of information i need to know and didn't bother to research. I'm finally starting to like the hobby and need some help. I have a canister filter because my tank came with an under gravel filter which was a complete pain. I do a 25% water change every other week and the tank looks great. I test my levels weekly and everything has been normal so far. I have 3 glow fish which I recently learned they like to live in groups of 5 or more so i would like to get 2 more glow fish. I have two corys and I recently learned the same is true for them so I would like to get 3 more corys. I also have a Plecostomus which I was told would be great for my tank. Silly me didn't research it for myself and I recently learned they can get up to 24'. So luckily he is still small now but I will need to find a new home for him because there is no way I ever plan to have a 100 gallon tank. I also have an aquatic frog who is very tiny. Can I get 3 more corys and 2 more glow fish or is that too much for the tank? Also what kind of fish are best for this size tank...I would like to have fish that keep a clean tank. Thanks!

Should be ok to add them, i would try and re home the plec if possible as they are very messy fish, i am in the process of trying to re home mine, bought under the same conditions as yours.

EDIT - I have a 17 gal with 4 corys, 9 harlequins, a plec and a fighter and i have no problems, you will be able to add a good few more fish.

You can get slot more then 2 if you want. You even add a smaller tetra like a neon it flame school

As already stated you can up those groups of fish and rehoming or returning the pleco is a good idea. One thing I do suggest is doing a weekly WC to keep the water pristine and to replenish buffers. I do a 50% WC weekly which insure no excess nutrients or toxins can build up in the water. Also be sure to clean your canister filter about every 4 weeks, but don't clean the bio-media as canister filters not cleaned on a regular basic can build up a lot of detris and cause nitrates to rise.

Back
Top Bottom