Started my fishless cycle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't use food to get the ammonia to build up... That's just my opinion. I found using purr amonia just did the trick ;-)

So i heard that throwing a shrimp in your uncycled tank will start the cycling process faster. Would this be like a frozen already cooked shrimp or like the grey uncooked ones??

Pure ammonia is actually quicker- the raw shrimp needs to decompose in order provide an ammonia source. Not as accurate as amm because you are not able to exactly 'dose' shrimp but it would work if you cant find ammonia.

The recommendation is,should u want to use food/shrimp as a source of ammonia, to put it in tights and let it hang in your tank, rather than just throw it I your water....

Well.. here's what happened since my tank cycled...
Got 8 guppies of various colours then a week and a bit later I got 4 glowlight tetras, I've bought 5 yamato shrimp of which one committed suicide by getting out the tank somehow, two then miraclesly disappeared. Got 2 Red cherry shrimp and one red crystal shrimp who's so weeeny that he's hard to spot....to my presumably shrimp death toll I've had one tetras do the upside-down boogie, one if my guppies got the "prolapse back side" and after reading up on it i decided to do the right thing and put it out its misery :-( I've also got another guppy which is showing the signs of a swimbladder disfunction. I'm treating him for it, but if he doesn't get better he will get the honourable out of the tank ceremony to :-( on a possitive though... My assassin snail is gradually doing.his thing :) Need to get him a couple of helpers next ;-)

I'm so sorry about your losses! It sounds like you're having a tough time of it. I sure hope things turn around for you. :)

I'm sorry about your losses! It sure sounds like you're having a tough time of it...I sure hope things turn around for you. :)

Back
Top Bottom