starter "kit"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buzter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I pretty much know jack about aquariums. Are the Walmart starter kits worth a hoot? I just want a little tank since space is at a premium in my place.

I got a kit at a yard sale because the stand was included and I wanted the stand. The set up isn't all that bad but in the near future you will have to upgrade the filter at least. I gave away the tank and stuff to set it up. Myself I would look around and price out things separately and compare quality. Before buying look and see what type of fish are good for a tank that size, there aren't that many. A 15 gallon tall is the same footprint as a 10 gallon only the height is different you might have a few other options when it comes to stocking.

Read of the section on cycling since this sounds like your first aquarium.

Welcome to the addiction ummmm hobby yeah that's it hobby.

agreed... i got my first tank on craigslist... you can usually find some good deals, complete setups, for a fraction of what you pay for new stuff. Welcome to AA :) and yes, it is an addiction, soon you will be moving out couches to accomidate aquariums

Or have tanks on your bedroom dresser like I do....LOL! I got the 20G starter kit at WalMart, and the only thing I am still using is the actual tank lol. Good luck!

Don't bother with a wally world set up. They put those packages together to hit a certain (cheap) price point. The filters are garbage, and the filter is the most critical thing to a successful tank, especially for a newcomer to the hobby. You should also know that small tanks are more work than large tanks, so measure your space and get the biggest tank you can for your space. Look into the articles here on FISHLESS cycling...much easier and faster (and kinder) than doing it with fish. And ask lots of questions here...do not rely on the sales people at pet stores! Especially the ones at Walmart!

i bought a ten gallon starter kit at walmart and its basically unusable. the lights get the water to hot the pump just looking it it you can tell its crap. buy just a tank then add stuff to it it much better that way cheaper in the long run. the tanks at chain pet stores are slightly better just make sure you buy your own chemicals and don't use the that came with the kit. but the filers and those are not a lot better... hope this helps

i bought a ten gallon starter kit at walmart and its basically unusable. the lights get the water to hot the pump just looking it it you can tell its crap. buy just a tank then add stuff to it it much better that way cheaper in the long run. the tanks at chain pet stores are slightly better just make sure you buy your own chemicals and don't use the that came with the kit. but the filers and those are not a lot better... hope this helps

Sounds like you got the incandescent lights, you can use the compact fluorescent lights to cut down on the heat.

I do not believe the walmart kits (10g deluxe) come with incandescent lights. They typically come with a 15w bulb. I am still running the filter that came with it 3-4 years ago. I do monthly maintenance on it and never had a problem. The only complaint I have about the AquaTech 5-15 filter is that it loses its prime easily when the power flickers. I use polyfiber, cut to fit, in the filter instead of the expensive cartridges that are made for it. I prefer not to run carbon in my tanks unless I medicate or need to remove tannins.

I upgraded the bulb in the hood that came with the tank to a 15w Power-GLO and I am growing vals, swords and xmas and java moss with no problems. I am not using CO2 or ferts, just some root tabs every other month.

I do not believe the walmart kits (10g deluxe) come with incandescent lights..

mine did and had another about 10 years ago, (i was a kid) and the filter just went out after about 8 months.

+1 for getting the biggest tank you can fit in your place. The bigger the tank, the easier it is for a beginner. Small tanks require much more attention as changes happen faster. And -- nothing good in an aquarium happens quickly.

If you have questions about a particular setup you see, if you post here, someone can help you out with whether or not it is a good deal.

Welcome to AA!

Good luck!

mine did and had another about 10 years ago, (i was a kid) and the filter just went out after about 8 months.

I guess it must not have been the 'deluxe' set up. When did you purchase your kit? I got mine 3-4 years ago for around $100. Came with tank, hood, light, filter, net and some food. I wouldn't be surprised that your tank from 10 years ago was incandescent, that was one of the more common bulbs back then.

I pretty much know jack about aquariums. Are the Walmart starter kits worth a hoot? I just want a little tank since space is at a premium in my place.

The starter kits can be a good value depending on what you want to do and how you plan on using it. Most will tell you it is easier to care for a bigger tank than a little one. What size tank or space were you thinking of, and what kind of fish do you want in it?

I find the Tetra Deluxe Kit to be a good blank Canvas to start with. You might just want to add a additional filter as I did when I started. I am still using the tank with everything it came with except I added another filter (running dual filters) and changed the heater to a Stealth

3 years ago I got a 10g walmart started kit. I knew nothing about fish care, but the feeder fish that we got survived just fine for 5-6 months until we put them in our pond in the back yard for the summer. They thrived out there, and for some reason (now I know it's probably the chlorine and lack of cycling) many died when I brought the 5 fish back in the fall - hey, they were each twice the size they were when we put them out!

That being said, the filter did lose it's prime periodically.

I guess it must not have been the 'deluxe' set up. When did you purchase your kit? I got mine 3-4 years ago for around $100. Came with tank, hood, light, filter, net and some food. I wouldn't be surprised that your tank from 10 years ago was incandescent, that was one of the more common bulbs back then.

well i got one about week ago also. a ten gallon... (thought they might of gotten better) it had incandescent lights with also i tried putting a slightly lager filter in it and even with the knock out plates removed it would not fit. maybe the 20's are better also im pretty sure it was a deluxe. and it was 50 bucks. (walmart prices can vary by area) i would get a kit at a pet chain if i was you they are not a lot more money (like 5 10 bucks).

ive seen the ones at walmart that have the incandescent one piece hood with the clips that snap on the tank with a little plastic key holding it on to hinge... they arent worth anything, end up rusting and causing a bunch of problems... nothing at all wrong with a cheap flourescent hood/light combo though... i have one, growing plants like crazy, even HM which i was told would only do good in high lighting conditions...

Interesting... my walmart must not even stock the incandescent ones. The cheapest kit they have is the 10g deluxe for $100. I would not hesitate to buy one although you could probably find a 10g cheaper on craigslist or your local classifieds.

Back
Top Bottom