Starting 75gal help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
greetings.

A canister filter has more filter volume (space for water, and media). this usually means it can support more BB.

Agreed I'm pretty over stocked on my 180 and just this xp2 keeps the quality under control bacteria wise but not crystal clear.

I'm going to go ahead and order the filters. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of just getting the 2 that Andrew McFadden suggests in his article. Maybe if there are any different options for these for a good price let me know. I can get both for a total of about 150 I think.

They are:
1. AquaClear 70 Power Filter - 110 V, UL Listed (Includes AquaClear 70 Carbon, AquaClear 70 Foam & AquaClear 70 BioMax

2.Rena 721 Filstar XP2 Canister Filter

The aqua clear I would order ceramic rings, a little bag and filter floss or polishing pads.

The rena filters I can't remember what mine came with other than sponges. If it was me I'd order bioballs to fill a basket with.

I don't run carbon or any other type of thing other than what I mentioned. I do use a coral life uv light though :)

I hope all this helps out

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help!! So if I can afford it I should just get a monster sump?? Any recommendations on one??

Thanks for all the help!! So if I can afford it I should just get a monster sump?? Any recommendations on one??

I wouldn't say a monster but ya a sump would replace both other filters. I've just recently turned all my other filters off and only run my sump and fuge. If you buy one they are basically all the same and some of the options aren't needed on them when talking freshwater. I think with a sump there are a lot more pros over cons imo. They are also easy to build yourself and way cheaper then a store bought one so you may want to look into that

Last edited:
I wouldn't say a monster but ya a sump would replace both other filters. I've just recently turned all my other filters off and only run my sump and fuge. If you buy one they are basically all the same and some of the options aren't needed on them when talking freshwater. I think with a sump there are a lot more pros over cons imo. They are also easy to build yourself and way cheaper then a store bought one so you may want to look into that

Any suggestions on a type of sump for my 75 gal? I was also thinking of a inline heater for it? I will be doing a little plumbing work here in the future to get easily accessible water for the tank. I think my water is a bit hard. Is there any filter I should hook up before it reaches my tank?? Reverse osmosis or something like that?

Any suggestions on a type of sump for my 75 gal? I was also thinking of a inline heater for it? I will be doing a little plumbing work here in the future to get easily accessible water for the tank. I think my water is a bit hard. Is there any filter I should hook up before it reaches my tank?? Reverse osmosis or something like that?

Nope your good on water no need to add anything. I did some plumbing aswell and ran a water line to the top of my tank and down the side to fill buckets for the other tanks.

Nope your good on water no need to add anything. I did some plumbing aswell and ran a water line to the top of my tank and down the side to fill buckets for the other tanks.

That's good. That will save me a bit of money. Do you think the Aqueon proflex sump model 2 will be enough for my whole tank? It does 1100 gph and I can get all different types of filter media for it. Which media would you suggest?

That's good. That will save me a bit of money. Do you think the Aqueon proflex sump model 2 will be enough for my whole tank? It does 1100 gph and I can get all different types of filter media for it. Which media would you suggest?

I'd do the wet/dry here is a page for it if you didn't see it already. I had to look it up http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/proflex-sump.htm I didn't see what all it comes with, did you? You'll need a pump and I'd look into getting one around 900-1000 gph. Plus sometimes bio balls come with them if not you'll need those.

So when you buy the sump. It doesn't come with a pump? It just says how much the sump can handle like 1100 gph? Where do I get the pump??

I found the pumps. Looks like I'll have to drop another 95 on a danner supreme classis mag drive pump model MD 9.5 it is 950gph. Would that be compatible with my Aqueon??

I found the pumps. Looks like I'll have to drop another 95 on a danner supreme classis mag drive pump model MD 9.5 it is 950gph. Would that be compatible with my Aqueon??

That's why I said its cheaper to build your own. If you just buy a tank and go to a hardware store they will cut plexi glass for you to your measurements then all you have to do is put it together. The cost would be less than half of that new.

The only thing you have to watch for is the gph the return side is completely separate . They give you the gph of how much water the overflow box can handle, so you know what pump to buy. I recommend adding a shut off valve and a checkvalve on the return side aswell. Witch is cheaper at a hardware store.

Edit
You may want to check out Craigslist or eBay. I've seen some go pretty cheap on both

Last edited:
That's a good idea. I was looking at DIY sumps. Kinda looks complicated. If I can get a cheap one that would be great or simplified plans to build one.

Anyone know of a place that has good simple plans to make a sump filter??

Refugium_870574.JPG
The skimmer section can be left out since you don't need it

Have you looked on eBay ? I was just on there and seen some going for 60 bucks

I'll keep looking on eBay. So I will need two pumps or is the inlet pipe through a siphon?

I'll keep looking on eBay. So I will need two pumps or is the inlet pipe through a siphon?

There is an overflow box that works off of a siphon. It should come with the wet/dry filter. The siphon box is what you need to know on how much gph it can handle. Only so much water can go down the tube to the filter. I took a video of mine so you can see it running and how it works. Once it uploaded to you tube ill send you the link for a better understanding. :)

Also you mentioned about the mag pump they are good pumps. I've only used one in my time of having sumps. For the rest of the time I've used a pond pump because I've had a few of those gave to me. Not sure if they are cheaper but worth looking into imo its been great

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the video. I get it now. I'm going to keep searching hopefully will find a good price.

What size sump would you recommend?? 10 gal 20gal??i am having trouble finding full sumps. It's all just kits that I have to buy the tank and silicone.

Back
Top Bottom