Starting 75gal help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for all the info. This might be a dumb question. But what's makes a sump system better than canisters??

Thanks for all the info. This might be a dumb question. But what's makes a sump system better than canisters??

Lol no question is dumb we all learn some how
Pros
-Adds more water volume to the setup. Witch everyone's knows the more water the better.
-filtration is better
-easier maintenance
- more things can be done like a refugium to grow plants to aid in lowering nitrates
- add things like more floss, uv lights etc.. for filtration
- it hides everything like heaters from being in the tank.

You can do a canister it will do just fine its all up to you. I only turned mine off because I'm use to sumps and my trates kept climbing up.

Just to say those are my opinions and thongs o could think off the top of my head.
I thought of another
You'll get a better flow from the pump because its not restricted as much as one in a canister.

So essentially I could have nothing in my tank at al except the intake and out take pipes. Along with a power head? I could put the heater in the sump? And that would take care of the whole tank?

So essentially I could have nothing in my tank at al except the intake and out take pipes. Along with a power head? I could put the heater in the sump? And that would take care of the whole tank?

Yep, and in all reality having a sump the pump will be a lot stronger than a canister so you may not even need to use a power. Head at all.

Nice that would be sick. What heater would you suggest for that system??

And I just hang the filter in my sump?

So here is my shopping list:
Aqueon proflex sump model 2
Danner supreme classic mag drive pump MD9.5
Aqueon pro heater for a 90 gal
Filter media (any suggestions?)
Quick Crete play sand (how much?)
Will I need anything that creates bubbles?
Where is a good place to get rocks for the decorations? Kinda like Andrews tank of the month?
Let me know if I am missing something.

Andrew I just watched your newest video of your lake Malawi tank. What are those random pipes/tubes coming out of your rocks?

And I just hang the filter in my sump?

So here is my shopping list:
Aqueon proflex sump model 2
Danner supreme classic mag drive pump MD9.5
Aqueon pro heater for a 90 gal
Filter media (any suggestions?)
Quick Crete play sand (how much?)
Will I need anything that creates bubbles?
Where is a good place to get rocks for the decorations? Kinda like Andrews tank of the month?
Let me know if I am missing something.

In a sump all you need is filter floss, cut your own type of pads or polishing pads. I use filter floss the bio balls should come with the filter but not sure on that.

The play sand you should only need 2 maybe a part of a 3rd one. So I'd just buy 2 for now.

You don't need bubbles

Rivers, creeks, outside in your yard, hardware stores, landscaping businesses are all places to get rocks. They sell cichlid stones that are ceramic with a hole in them for Cichlids. I don't use them because the hole to me looks to fake for my taste.
I have a DIY 3d background that I made http://www.aquariumadvice.com/3d-freshwater-aquarium-backgrounds/
You can also buy them online, very few stores actually carry them in the store.

You'll need a hose to run from the pump back to the tank or you can do it in pvc. I just use a hose, the hose going from the overflow box to the filter normally comes with the filter.

Andrew I just watched your newest video of your lake Malawi tank. What are those random pipes/tubes coming out of your rocks?

Those aren't there now, since I started using the sump. The one was a power head and one was from the canister filter. I did that to try and hide them lol obviously not too well :)

Wow. Do everything in the back wall of your aquarium and the cave are all fake? I'm not sure if I am artistic enough to make something like that. That is really amazing.

Wow. Do everything in the back wall of your aquarium and the cave are all fake? I'm not sure if I am artistic enough to make something like that. That is really amazing.

Lol yep its almost all fake :)

I'm going to figure out a new way someday when I get time and extra cash. That would be more of an insert than one that's stuck and floats.

Yea that would be pretty cool. You could make them and customize them and sell them to people lol

I have been looking at premade ones an they are any where from 150 to 400 a piece. They are really nice though. I might give it a try.

I have been looking at premade ones an they are any where from 150 to 400 a piece. They are really nice though. I might give it a try.

Your talking about the background? Just make sure its for your size tank. They are nice aswell I just like to make things myself plus that way it would be different. If you look at the picture showing my over flow box you can see I custom made it to cut the corner so I can hide stuff like the box behind it.

Yeah the background. I think I might try to make my own. Might be a fun project. Hopefully it will look like real rock lol

I am definitely going to give the 3d background a try. Andrew. Do you have any recommendations on how to leave space for your filter? Maybe post a pic of where the filter is covered up?

This shows that I cut the corner in the background there are holes that go threw it and at the top. Plus the corner background piece is one section so where it connects to the other part there is one big hole like a cave. I just set the overflow box there so that way I knew how much of the corner I had to cut.

ForumRunner_20121217_130129.jpg

Back
Top Bottom