Starting a 10 gallon tank... 2 Questions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hardydk1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first time using or posting on this site. I was looking through past threads about starting a tank, but I could not find what I was looking for.

I recently got a free 10 gallon tank set up. I put the water in the tank today, 2 gallons were from a very healthy koi pond in my yard, the rest was tap water. I added "Start Right" to remove the chlorine and chloramine.

1st question: What can happen if I added too much "Start Right" to the water? Are there negative effects?

2nd question: The tank was used so the filter cartridge might still contain good bacteria (stored in garage for a year). I used 2 gallons of pond water with good bacteria. How much will this help to have my tanked "cycled" and ready for fish? Would it be a good idea to take some rocks from the pond and place them in my tank temporarily to help generate more good bacteria?

I would not use water from the pond. The good bacteria that you want is not in the water, it is on the surfaces of the rocks and plants and other things. But, if you take those things from the pond, you are most likely taking with it any pesticides that have been sprayed in the area, any car exhaust pollutants, air pollution that has settled in the water....etc. Best to just put fresh tap water in the tank with a filter with new media in it (not the year old stuff from the garage) and the dechlorinator. Then add a few pinches of food every few days and let the tank cycle naturally. Please read the links in my signature. They will explain in more detail. And BTW, Welcome to AA!

I am not too worried about the other bacteria. These are small fish ponds that were made 15+ years ago and have never had any real issues other than Herons.

So far about 2 of the 10 gallons of water in the tank are from the pond. Should I remove some water and replace it with tap water?

Also, everything that is going into this tank will be native species, typically more tolerant fish such as 3" bullhead catfish, and creek chubs. I think they will be good even if the water is not ideal.

Forgot to say that I am going to put some smaller rocks and some plants (anacharis) in the tank for the bacteria.

The good bacteria that you want is not in the water
when you fill the tank where is the bacteria come from?

majority of the bacteria is on the rocks/filter... there is some in the water but i agree fresh water is best.

1st question: What can happen if I added too much "Start Right" to the water? Are there negative effects?
with out fish there shouldnt be a problem... i know with prime you can add 5x amount they say with out any ill effects.

2nd question: The tank was used so the filter cartridge might still contain good bacteria
no if its dry the bacteria is dead.

I used 2 gallons of pond water with good bacteria. How much will this help to have my tanked "cycled" and ready for fish?
prob not much at all more so with out any food for the bacteria.

Would it be a good idea to take some rocks from the pond and place them in my tank temporarily to help generate more good bacteria?
i would just start clean or get a handful of gravel from a lfs...

Then add a few pinches of food every few days and let the tank cycle naturally.
its a lot better to use ammonia then fish food.

What amount of ammonia would I put in my 10 gallon tank...1-2 tbsp?

do a couple drops at a time. there is different concentrate of ammonia out there so it depends on how deluded yours is.

Back
Top Bottom