Starting a 36 Gallon Bow Front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike2112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a 10 Gallon tank back in January to learn the basics of how to upkeep an aquarium. Now my tank is fully cycled with 2 platies, 2 cory cats, 5 danios and 2 snails and very healthy :). Unfortunately I had to lose around 5-6 fish during that cycle which I dont want to do again.

So recently decided to upgrade to a bigger tank, which is right now going through a fishless cycle.

Specs:
36 Gallon Bow Front
Quiet Flow 30 Power Filter (GPH 200)
Whats your opinion on the filter? Is it enough? Because I plan to stock this tank well.

Heres my process. So far the tank been running for about 3 days. I put the water in. Let it sit for about a half hour, then put the water conditioner in. About an hour later i put the ammonia, (ACE Janitorial Strength 5ml), and crushed up a little bit of fish food and put in there also (heard it helps the Ph somehow). Tested water the next day, and showing right on the money, 4ppm (I use API Master Test kit). Ph levels currently showing around 8.0-8.2. I don't have a thermometer, but i have the heat kicked up to.. i wanna say around 82-85 degrees. Also, I keep the light off.

Some of my concerns are, I don't have gravel in the tank yet, or any decorations. I have my filter running of course, with alot of media in it. Probably around 12-15 Fluval Bio Rings, and a carbon filter. Will that be enough to get the cycle going, or do I absolutely need gravel now?

So today to try and jumpstart the process, i did a water change on my 10 gallon tank, and decided to take the sponge out and kind of swirl it around in my 36 gallon to get bacteria in that tank. Of course before I put the sponge back in my 10 gallon, i cleaned it in the water i took out for the change. Was that a good idea? Just something I read somewhere.

Any insight would be appreciated. :)

Nope, you don't need gravel. Squeezing the sponge into the new filter is fine.

Is this an upgrade to your current tank and is the 10 gal cycled? if so you can just move the fish to the new tank and run the 10 gal filter on the 36 along with the new filter. If the 10 gal is cycled and you move the filter over, it will stay cycled for the fish you have now. Even if it isn't cycled the larger volume of water in the larger tank will help dissipate the toxins better.

I agree to get a larger filter for the 36 than the QuietFlow. Aquaclear makes good filters; a 70 or even a 110 would do nicely.

Yeah its jus an upgrade from the 10 to the 36. The 10 gallon is cycled, i was thinking about doing that but wasnt sure if it would work. As of now i already have the ammonia in the 36 gallon and beginning the cycle, do you recommend continuing that, or do a huge water change and switch over from the 10? Would that be faster? Safe for fish?

As for the filter should i just add one along with the quiet flow? If i do switch the filter from the 10 gallon, how bad would it be to switch filters in the future, would that cause a mini cycle?

Update:

So i decided to do that this morning, i changed out around 80% of the water and I have 2 Zebra Danios in the tank right now. I havent switched the filter over from the 10 gallon yet. I figured it would be a good idea to let those 2 swim around and make sure nothing is seriously wrong with the tank before I switch my whole stock over and possibly compromise my 10 gallon tank. How long before I know if the tank is good to go do you think? So far the Danios have been in it for 2 hours, and they are acting normal.

Thanks in advance :)

I figured I'd ask about my filter setup, I don't have alot of room in it for my bio rings. So i figured i'd post a picture and see what you guys think. Its a HOB aqueon quietflow 30. I got the bio rings in the first little compartment where the water enters, and I got the filters set up with Poly-fil quilt batting (made sure its not fire resistant.) and held in place with the carbon filter holder (took out carbon, i don't really care for it)

Opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 107
So my fishless cycle is nearly complete. I took all my fish out a few weeks ago to change the substrate and just decited to go ahead with the fishless cycle. I've been in NitrIte part of the stage for about 2 1/2 weeks, and I noticed about a week ago that the NitrItes were just so high, to the point where i was getting false readings. So I did a water change (70-80%) and got the NitrItes down a tad, it was still off the charts, but no false readings.

Yesterdays test readings: (After 50% water change)
Ammonia - 0 (dosing 2ppm daily)
NitrIte - 5-10
NitrAte - 5
Ph - 7.6

So yesterday I was checking my levels and thought to myself.. it really shouldnt be taking this long.. I'm using seeded filter media from another tank, I thought this whole cycle would be 2 weeks TOPS. So im thinking my cycle has stalled. Well I had never checked my Ph... ever... I figured for a fishless cycle you wouldn't have to. Well I was wrong, its obvious to me atleast in the end of the cycle Ph has a big effect on how things move along. After checking yesterday and seeing a reading of 6.0!!!@@!@!! I instantly did a 50% waterchange and added 4 tsp of baking soda (tank water->cup->add baking soda->mix well->add to tank) to get the level around 7.6.

So this morning I wake up and do my tests, and I'm shocked!

Ammonia - 0
NitrIte - 2
NitrAte - 80
Ph - 7.6

I truly believe that adding the baking soda and raising the Ph is the only thing that got my tank going. I think if I hadn't of checked the Ph, I would going through the same thing today as I have for the last week and a half.

I also did the water change as a test, because people say if you do a water change during a fishless cycle, it can cause the cycle to stall for a day or 2. Well (atleast in my experience) I see this as untrue. I believe water changes during fishless cycles are good, maybe 1 or 2/week. I don't see a point in letting the nitrIte build up to be at off the chart levels, in nature it isn't this way, the only reason are nitrItes build up as much as the do is because we add PURE ammonia in such a small volume of water, rather then just letting it run its course slowly. Of course though, during a fishless cycle, this really doesn't matter, because your not killing fish. I'm just saying I don't believe its good for the bacteria to have levels THAT high. So imo... do water changes 1 or 2 a week, just to get NitrItes down, and check Ph (expecially near the end)

Just wanted to share my experience, hopefully this can help someone else during there fishless cycle. Patience is a virtue. Goodluck!

Attachments

• IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 261
Back
Top Bottom