Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2021, 04:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Starting a 55g Aquarium

I am a novice Aquarist and I was creating a list for my 55 gallon aquarium and I was wanting some advice. Thank you in advance!

4 - Angelfish
2 - Dwarf Gourami
1- Red-Tailed Shark
6 - Kuhli Loaches
Some schooling fish like Tetras, this is the part I'm wanting advice for the most.

I thought perhaps too many angels, let me know what you all think. Any advice for decor and foliage is also welcome.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

As someone who keeps 4 angelfish in a 55 gallon, i wouldnt recommend it. The tank is big enough for them, but they dont all get along so its not really worth it. Better to get 2 and hope they pair up rather than get 4, have 2 pair up and upset one of the others. Probably best bet is get 4, and when 2 pair up rehome the other 2 if possible.

What are you looking for in tetras? While they are social fish, they dont generally school tightly together. Mostly just hang out in the same general area of the tank. Nearest tetra i get to schooling behaviour is with my cardinal tetras.

Be careful with small tetras and angelfish. Add your angelfish after the tetras so the smaller fish arent invading angelfish territory. And get juvenille angelfish so they grow up not seeing the tetras as food.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I didn't have my heart set on a kind of Tetra, is there any fish species that you would think would do well in my current set up? I want some suggestions to fill it up and have a perfect plan.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

I would recommend going to the fish store, having a look at what there is and what takes your fancy. Its difficult for people to make recommendations, because what you get is what appeals to them, not what appeals to you. Whether fish x goes with fish y is another matter, that's where experience comes in useful.

A school of tetras generally will go with your other stock plans, but there are plenty of options. Are you looking for something colourful, or active, or unusual, or with interersting behaviour?
Old 08-29-2021, 12:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Colourful and unusual probably, all of the fish I have I'm in love with, I just want some suggestions to fill up the aquarium that are compatible.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You should get a bristlenose precocious if u aren’t looking to breed anything
Old 08-29-2021, 06:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Also Java ferns are a great plant to have. So are Anubis nano petiet

Tags
aquarium, star, start, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com