Starting a brackish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScaryFatKidGT

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thinking of keeping Figure 8 Puffers or GSP's, maybe some other compatible brackish fish, figure its something most people don't do.

Obviously reefs wont work and plants wont work so what do you do? Is brackish easier or harder than full SW? Also I'm guessing the salinity doesn't have to be as exact?

What size is the tank?

A nice setup (depending on the size of tank) would be a figure 8 puffer, a small school (6-8) of celebes rainbowfish, and possibly a few bumblebee gobies.

Figure 8s have a rule of 15 gallons per puffer, and they get about 3"
GSPs should be kept in a minimum of 30 gallons/puffer, max at 6"
A GSP will need full saltwater as adults. I imagine it's easier than salt, just because with either puffer you're almost always going to find them in freshwater at the stores so you slowly raise the salinity over time.

There are a few plants that can survive up to 1.008, or so I've read, which is good for the 8s. Otherwise mangroves are a good option, just make sure you plant them in pots or you could have a disaster.
(I haven't tried mangroves yet, but I'm really looking forward to
them)
I keep both species, tank mates really depends on the specific puffer. You never know with them. You can get a puffer that gets along with everyone, or one that's intolerant. Figure 8s generally do better in groups.

Monos and Archers are both good options for the upper level of the tank. I haven't tried Archers, I'm waiting for a large paludarium to attempt them, but I've had good luck with my Sebae. Both get large so make sure your tank can support them.
Bumblebee gobies are great, but I wouldn't risk them with my puffers.
A pair of Chromides would make nice addition to a brackish aquarium, along with a school of Celebes Halfbeaks. Possibly with Figure 8s although that's always a gamble. If it's big enough, a Dragon Goby might also work with this. 55 or 75 minimum is the smallest I'd go for that, although I'd have to look at the Chromides max size to be sure.

An impressive alternative to the aquarium is a brackish paludarium. You could do Mudskippers, Knight Gobies, Fiddler Crabs, Bumblebee Gobies.. there's some awesome builds out there you can use for inspiration. Just do a search for Mudskippers paludarium. I like the DIY builds from egg crate and foam personally.

Edit- The Figure 8s and Dragon might have a slightly higher salinity than the Halfbeaks and Chromides so look into that first if you were to consider that.

el linko es brokano

What size is the tank?

A nice setup (depending on the size of tank) would be a figure 8 puffer, a small school (6-8) of celebes rainbowfish, and possibly a few bumblebee gobies.
I'm thinking like a JBJ 45g rimless, other than that my problem is drilling like I don't think they make 46 or 72 bowfronts drilled, I could maybe get a 75g depending on how much my LFS wants for one, they only want $159 for a non drilled 75g aqueon.

Figure 8s have a rule of 15 gallons per puffer, and they get about 3"
GSPs should be kept in a minimum of 30 gallons/puffer, max at 6"
A GSP will need full saltwater as adults. I imagine it's easier than salt, just because with either puffer you're almost always going to find them in freshwater at the stores so you slowly raise the salinity over time.

There are a few plants that can survive up to 1.008, or so I've read, which is good for the 8s. Otherwise mangroves are a good option, just make sure you plant them in pots or you could have a disaster.
(I haven't tried mangroves yet, but I'm really looking forward to
them)
I keep both species, tank mates really depends on the specific puffer. You never know with them. You can get a puffer that gets along with everyone, or one that's intolerant. Figure 8s generally do better in groups.

Monos and Archers are both good options for the upper level of the tank. I haven't tried Archers, I'm waiting for a large paludarium to attempt them, but I've had good luck with my Sebae. Both get large so make sure your tank can support them.
Bumblebee gobies are great, but I wouldn't risk them with my puffers.
A pair of Chromides would make nice addition to a brackish aquarium, along with a school of Celebes Halfbeaks. Possibly with Figure 8s although that's always a gamble. If it's big enough, a Dragon Goby might also work with this. 55 or 75 minimum is the smallest I'd go for that, although I'd have to look at the Chromides max size to be sure.

An impressive alternative to the aquarium is a brackish paludarium. You could do Mudskippers, Knight Gobies, Fiddler Crabs, Bumblebee Gobies.. there's some awesome builds out there you can use for inspiration. Just do a search for Mudskippers paludarium. I like the DIY builds from egg crate and foam personally.
Paladarium sounds cool, what would be awesome is if you ran a pump and distilled or ROed the water so you had a fresh water stream leading into it but the salinity of the tank stayed the same lol.

Edit- The Figure 8s and Dragon might have a slightly higher salinity than the Halfbeaks and Chromides so look into that first if you were to consider that.
Idk I'm guessing they all have more of a range they can be in vs a specific point.

With a 45 gallon, for a stocking recommendation you could do:

2 figure 8 puffers
6 celebes rainbowfish
2 celebes halfbeaks
1 knight goby

For a 75 gallon, maybe this:

4 figure 8 puffers
12 celebes rainbowfish
4 celebes halfbeaks
2 knight gobies
(MAYBE) 1 dragon goby

You don't have to do this it was just my recommendation. Oh I almost forgot! There's a really cool fish called the freshwater flounder/hogchocker sole (it's not really freshwater it's brackish) and it would be awesome if you have sand in the tank. You cannot keep them with gravel.

Personally I think the 75 would be the most impressive. I love the stocking list myself. The Dragon Goby you would probably have to make sure actually gets food as they're sand sifters, and slow at that. You don't want him to be out competed. Many people use a turkey baster to feed live/frozen foods directly to them.
The flounder is a cool oddball, but I've read they can be very aggressive, so make sure he's compatible with whoever else you'd like in the tank.

So can you do live rock or any kind of coral or anything besides mangroves? I want to do a JBJ 45 rimless with mangroves and a waterfall.

I have live rock in with my GSPs. I don't know how it'll work in lower salinity levels but you can at least use it for rock work and structure.

Back
Top Bottom