Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Starting a new 29G tank

I'm using a piece of filter media from an other tank, so cycling should be rather short...

I have a bio-wheel and using a double filter carbon/coral media. Sand substrate (could be changed to something else if needed). Was considering a planted tank, but I've never had a planted tank before and I'm not sure if I'm up for starting one. I do have a heater and can set it from 65F to 90F. I do have a full-spectrum compact fluorescent light that can also be changed to suit other needs.

Was wondering what my stock should consist of. I've got bettas, tetras, barbs, and plecos in other tanks so I'd like to steer away from more of those if possible.

Any ideas on stock and adjustments to the tank (lighting/substrate/etc...)?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomawkm
I'm using a piece of filter media from an other tank, so cycling should be rather short...

I have a bio-wheel and using a double filter carbon/coral media. Sand substrate (could be changed to something else if needed). Was considering a planted tank, but I've never had a planted tank before and I'm not sure if I'm up for starting one. I do have a heater and can set it from 65F to 90F. I do have a full-spectrum compact fluorescent light that can also be changed to suit other needs.

Was wondering what my stock should consist of. I've got bettas, tetras, barbs, and plecos in other tanks so I'd like to steer away from more of those if possible.

Any ideas on stock and adjustments to the tank (lighting/substrate/etc...)?
Also if you crank your heater up to around 86 degrees I think, that will help your BB ( beneficial bacteria) grow like crazy and also help speed things along even more.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.h2012 View Post
Also if you crank your heater up to around 86 degrees I think, that will help your BB ( beneficial bacteria) grow like crazy and also help speed things along even more.
Yup. 84-86 degrees F makes the bacteria colonize faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomawkm View Post
I've got bettas, tetras, barbs, and plecos in other tanks so I'd like to steer away from more of those if possible.
What type of tetras did you have? There are many types of them out there, and even if you have kept a few types there are many awesome kinds to still keep .
Old 10-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29 View Post
Yup. 84-86 degrees F makes the bacteria colonize faster.

What type of tetras did you have? There are many types of them out there, and even if you have kept a few types there are many awesome kinds to still keep .
I've got silver tips and bloodfins at the moment. Not a big fan of the neons.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by moomawkm View Post
I've got silver tips and bloodfins at the moment. Not a big fan of the neons.
Rummynose tetras are a favorite. Diamond tetras, black skirt tetras, white skirt tetras, penguin tetras, emperor tetras, glowlight tetras, serpae tetras, black phantom tetras, head-and-tail-light tetras, pristella tetras, red eye tetras and von rio flame tetras are some others I can name off the top of my head.

As for non-tetra schoolers, Danios such as Zebra Danios, GloFish (Just genetically modified Zebra Danios) and Orange-finned danios make very active additions to a tank. Cherry Barbs would also be an option.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

In a 29g tank you can do other options. What about a pair of rams, either Bolivian or German Blue Ram, with some Threadfin rainbowfish or Spotted blue-eyes for upper level fish, and then perhaps 6 Panda cory cats. You might even be able to add a small school or rasboras or a single honey gourami in the mix depending on what you would decide on.

Many of these fish prefer and look better with a darker substrate, you could easily do black sand if you wanted. You could also do a very easy type of planted tank requiring minimal work by going with driftwood and possibly alittle rock and just getting some anubia, java fern, and java moss to tie onto the DW. The only thing I can't tell you about is your lighting. I am not familar with compact lighting, how bright it is, etc.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I noticed no one commented about the pleco... Is this a common pleco? If it is, it needs to be returned or re homed. A full grown pleco gets pretty big (about 20'' I believe, again * I THINK on the size*) and will need quite a larger tank so it's growth doesn't get stunted (I think a member said a full grown common needs 300 gallons?).
Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.h2012 View Post
I noticed no one commented about the pleco... Is this a common pleco? If it is, it needs to be returned or re homed. A full grown pleco gets pretty big (about 20'' I believe, again * I THINK on the size*) and will need quite a larger tank so it's growth doesn't get stunted (I think a member said a full grown common needs 300 gallons?).
Rubberlips...they only get about 4"...
Old 10-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomawkm

Rubberlips...they only get about 4"...
Oh ok, if it was stated before I must have missed it. My mistake, sorry.

Tags
29 gallon, starting, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com