Starting a new tank - can I use old tank materials?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenhat06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, I currently have a 30 gallon tank that is over 2 years old and already "established" with great levels upon water testing. I just purchased a 10 gallon tank for my bedroom, complete with a new filter and heater. Right now I don't have any gravel, declarations, or fish in there, just the tank and water. I want to start the cycling process ASAP. I am wondering what my options are, especially given that I have another tank that is up and running. The filters are different, so I can't just use my old filter media in this new filter. But could I just "lay it" in the tank to help the BB process? Or can I used some of the decorations I have in the old tank to help? I have more than enough fish in my current tank, some more hearty ones like tetras and other small/cheap community fish that could also start the cycle. Finally, I only added Prime to the water in the new tank, so that itself wouldn't start the cycling process right? Just looking for some answers/suggestions from you guys! Also, will be purchasing gravel in the next week, is this okay to delay for the time being? Thanks guys

What type of substrate do you have in the mature tank. You CAN use the media from the old tank, keep it wet(old tank water), cut it up and put in the new filter. If you have gravel in the mature tank, cut the ankle off a NEW pair of pantyhose and put a handful in the tights and tie tight. Pop this inside the filter beside the new media. This will transfer some BB onto the new media. This can be left in the filter indefinitely but for at least 4wks. Stock the tank slowly and keep a close eye on the water quality.....

Back
Top Bottom