Starting Again - Bigger Tank - Filter Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeeNee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

My small 70(ish) liter tank has had no end of problems with high Ammonia levels since I started it in November 2011. I know it's overstocked (see below) so tomorrow, I collect my new 127 liter tank. Amazingly, my fish have all survived - see my previous posts for past info.

I've just bought a JAD SSF-104 sponge filter with a Marina 200 air pump. Originally I was going to install an undergravel filter but decided to go for this one instead. A good choice - not sure?!?!

I'm going to have about four days before I can get water into the new tank and I plan to keep running the small tank until the new one is cycled.

Should I put the new sponge filter into the old tank for those four days to try and get some bacteria into it?

Should I use some of the water from the old tank when filling the new tank?

The old tank still has Ammonia problems which I originally thought was down to the gemstone mix substrate I used. I have thoroughly tested each individual stone type and no longer think this was the problem. My problem is probably down to over stocking the small tank.

All help and advice would be gratefully received.

Moving from 70 liter to 127 liter tank
2 Clown Loach
5 Rosy Barbs
5 Harlequin
4 Black tetra
3 live plants
gemstone substrate

Run the sponge filter in the old tank for as long as possible. Every little bit helps.

Using water from the old tank will not do anything for you. There is no beneficial bacteria in the water column to speak of. You can if you want but it won't help the cycle along.

Thanks blert. I've just been speaking to a fellow fish keeper who thinks I would be better off with an undergravel filter. Before I get started and still have the opportunity to get a refund, does anyone have an opinion on this please?

Undergravel filters are out dated and clog easily. Especially if you have plants.

Thanks kenbob, yes, I just read something similar. So if I stick with my JAD sponge filter, will that be enough to circulate the water or should I have a small internal filter as well. If I just use the sponge filter, where does all the rubbish end up? Is it just a matter of keeping the substrate 'vacuumed' and washing the sponge in extracted tank water?

HOB = "Hang On Back"

Skip the under gravel filter. They get real funky up underneath them and are near impossible to clean out without tearing down the whole tank. If you ever plan on putting a live plant in the tank UGs are bad for that also.

With a sponge filter, the crud ends up in the sponge. They are wonderful bacterial filters but not so good at mechanical and chemical filtration, if ever needed, is right out.

I don't know how many gallons a 127 liter is but I don't think clown loaches are ok in there. They can reach 1 ft in length and should be kept I'm schools of 4 minimum I believe.

I also believe undergravel filters are more of a problem than a solution. A good hob filter would be best for the $. Unless you can afford a canister.

The Clown loaches are going to grow to large for your tank. The bare minimum for Clowns is a 125 gallon, 6' long tank. and they will even outgrow that size in time. mine are around 8-9" long now but they are almost 10 yrs old, and live in a 8' long 300 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom