Starting Anew! Tank Build: 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello! I'm starting up my 55g that's been in my basement for a while very soon! Just for some details heres a bit of information on the tank:
55g
AquaClear 70 Power Filter
Hood w/Lights:
Lights need to get new ones, but not sure which type yet.
Substrate:
Sand
Going to add some type of soild/plant goodness to it in the near future
Plants:
Java Fern
Anachris
Amazon Fern
And more, any ideas?
Fish:
(these are ideas the ones with * I have/need to get)
Angelfish*
Opaline Gourami*
Panda Cories*
Peppered Cories*
Diamond Tetras
Rummy Nose Tetras
Kerri Tetras
Bloodfin Tetras
Looking into different Rainbows as well

Obviously I'm not getting all of those fish but I'm just getting an idea down and ideas back!
Hopefully I'll be getting my filter soon and will get this started up!!:dance:

Sounds like you have a plan all figured out, I will subscribe so I can see this come along!

Be careful with the amazon swords. I've heard those can be really tricky to keep if you don't have the right lighting or fertilizer.

I'll definitely be following along to see how it turns out! Good luck!

Talvari said:
Be careful with the amazon swords. I've heard those can be really tricky to keep if you don't have the right lighting or fertilizer.

Will keep that I mind! I'll do some more research on everything before I buy something:D. But thanks for the warning!!!

I went to the pet store today and saw some fish that I haven't seen in person before! I really like the looks of them:
Congo tetras
Red/Blue Columbian tetra
Turquoise rainbow
Ohhhhh there was one more!!!! Grrrrrr I forget what it was called!
Does anyone have any experience with these fish?

I saw a turquoise rainbow too for the first time, they're really cool looking with full color. But. Dint know much about them, sorry

George9 said:
I saw a turquoise rainbow too for the first time, they're really cool looking with full color. But. Dint know much about them, sorry

Haha! That's fine! Yeah I was wandering through the store and they were gorgeous! I stopped and was looking at them before an employee came up and asked if I wanted her to get some... Sadly no:(. But I agree that they are cool looking!

Just another quick question: if I get rid of the angel could a firemouth go in there? I've heard they're nice as long as there's no two of them... Or would that be a no? Or could they get along with the angel? Also do they get along with gouramis?

AquaKai said:
Will keep that I mind! I'll do some more research on everything before I buy something:D. But thanks for the warning!!!

But if you keep right they can become a centre peice like mind is its huge its 20 inches tall with about 20 huge leaves on it

richpowell1989 said:
But if you keep right they can become a centre peice like mind is its huge its 20 inches tall with about 20 huge leaves on it

Oh that would be awesome! I will really research them because I would love to have one like that!

AquaKai said:
Oh that would be awesome! I will really research them because I would love to have one like that!

They really do look amazing when they are that big trust me, if you look it up on Google you can find lots of pictures of bigger ones

Back to go over some new ideas:
For plants:
Crypts of some sort
Jungle Vals
Dwarf Sag
Fish:
Would I be good to add in a blood parrot if I got rid of either the gourami or the angelfish? I've been reading that they are very nice fish and only get a little territorial and since most of the fish I want are bigger would one be okay or is this just another silly idea?

Another fish up for thought: keyhole cichlid. Would one or two of these be good? Ahhh so many fish!!!

Ahaha I'm back!
So I have this down to two diffferent ideas for fish:
x1 Blood Parrot
x1 Angelfish
x6/7 Panda Cories
x6/7 Peppered Cories
x7ish Diamond Tetras
x7ish Kerri/Bloodfin/Congo Tetras
x2-3 Nerite Snails

OR the more expensive:
x4-5 Discus
x6 Panda Cories
x6 Peppered Cories

Which one!!!! AHHH I cannot decide! I just got my filter ordered so hopefully it will be here within a week or two!!!!

My swords do fine without much attention. Just give them some root ferts.

But set-ups will only work if you post pics ;)

I've been looking at the fish and I'm still having issues!!!! We might go to the big aquarium store around here tomorrow so I might look around. However my filter is suppose to come in tomorrow as well!!!! I'm very excited and the shipping is going a lot faster than what I thought! Also a quick few questions about discus:
Are they really as hard to take care of as everyone says they are?
Can they be bought not all at once?
What size would be the best to get them?

However I really like the blood parrots, so I may get them instead...

AquaKai said:
I've been looking at the fish and I'm still having issues!!!! We might go to the big aquarium store around here tomorrow so I might look around. However my filter is suppose to come in tomorrow as well!!!! I'm very excited and the shipping is going a lot faster than what I thought! Also a quick few questions about discus:
Are they really as hard to take care of as everyone says they are?
Can they be bought not all at once?
What size would be the best to get them?

However I really like the blood parrots, so I may get them instead...

They are very expensive so its not best starting them as your first project

They are very expensive so its not best starting them as your first project
Yeah, nery true. And this is mt first bigger aquarium with only fish. I'll probaby stick with the the blood parrot. Unlkess I come up with some other crazy idea....:angel::whistle:

Back
Top Bottom