Starting back up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asanderd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone I'm not exactly new to the hobby but I'm about 10 years away from it. I used to have a 10 g beta tank and a 29 gal for a carnival goldfish. My mom bought me a 5g Marina kit for my birthday because I was admiring some Betas. I know its small but until I get my office/craft room set up I don't have room for a larger tank. The filter is a Marina Slim S10. Other than a Beta, could I get away with a few Corys and a couple small mid level swimmers?

Filter media
The filter has two slots and came with two filter cartridges, a Bio-Clea. with Zeolite "best for goldfish" and a Bio-Carb "best for tropical fish" cartridge Can both of these be used for setting up? I plan on eventually buying a filter sock to make me own filters for less. But I'm not sure which media would be best for a small 5 gal. Also all what water testing kit will I need?

Fishless Cycle

My kit came with a dinky little 1oz bottle of Fluval Cycle. Also I want to fishless cycle but have never done it before. Can I use the Cycle and not have to do the thing with adding Ammonia for a few weeks or will I still have to go the Ammonia route? And if so, can you point me in the direction of a good site to reference?

Any other fish combo suggestions very welcome.

Sorry this is so long winded; I just want to get this tank going right, from the start

Attachments

• 20200612_181612.jpg
    20200612_181612.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200612_181635.jpg
    20200612_181635.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 31
Here is one way to customize the Marina Filter.

However this is the best way to customize any filter. Simple pot scrubbies. Yes that's a Marina S20.

Attachments

• Marina S20 Pot Scrubbies.jpg
    Marina S20 Pot Scrubbies.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom