starting cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am ready to start cycling. Hopefully my stuff from Big Al's will be here tomorrow. *fingers crossed* I have Ammonia Chloride from work, which on one of those site Guppy Guy gave me, said was better than Ammonia Hydroxide, as it won't lower the pH as much. My ammonia test kit is old and it didn't register any ammonia after I added it yesterday (twice). I can only assume it's just not reading right. So I'll just let it be and test tomorrow if the new kit comes in. Can't wait to get this thing going!! It's hard to look at the tank and just imagine the fish in there! LOL

My stuff from Big Al's came in finally today! :multi: Now I can really get this thing going! My ammonia tested around 6ppm, which is where it should be considering the amount of Ammonia Chloride I put in. Nitrates and Nitrites are zero as expected. I added some bottled bacteria so I'll test tomorrow. Got some new plants so it looks nice and full. Also got my Visitherm heater...I love it! :mrgreen:
While I'm waiting for it to cycle, I have much decision making to do in terms of what to put in the tank. Decisions, decisions, decisions.... :infinity:

I know! LOL! Even though I am familiar with tropicals, I have been looking at many sites for compatability. I found a thread on this site about it. DrsFosterandSmith's fish pages have this neat chart that tells which ones can go together. I would love to find a site that lists out fish compatability AND their preferences...temp, pH, etc. on one page. If not, I'm going to have to write it all out myself. :x

I would love to find a site that lists out fish compatability AND their preferences...temp, pH, etc. on one page. If not, I'm going to have to write it all out myself.
It is difficult. There are SO many fish. The temp thing isn't a huge issue. There are tropicals and nontropicals. The majority of tropicals like 78 degrees. Next is looking at pH and hardness. I have never read (but there must be one out there) of a fish that prefers a high pH and very soft water. IME, low pH and softness goes together. Someone correct me if I am wrong!! After grouping fish by temp, I would group by preferred pH and go from there. HTH :wink:

:mrgreen: Thanks! Just sucks I'll have to write it all out...but oh well. I suppose I need SOMETHING to do while the tank is cycling. LMAO!

Back
Top Bottom