Starting Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EShark83

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Today officially marks day one of my first fishless cycle. My wife bought me a 55 gallon tank and stand as an early Christmas gift. It was pretty rough when we brought it home, I've since sanded down the trim and the stand, cleaned the heck out of it, primed and painted the stand, and installed new hardware on the stand, and painted the trim. Took a lot of painstakingly applying tape and a whole lot of black friday salespapers to ensure none of the paint made its way into the tank :lol:

The lighting is a little wonky because it came with one working bulb, the other needed replaced. We replaced the bulb in the other hood with a T8 18" aqueon colormax 15 watt. I didn't want to sink too much money into replacing both because lighting is what I want to upgrade on the tank first, I'm looking for a good option for a T5HO fixture because I want to do a planted tank. I don't want high lighting yet though, aiming for moderate/low for now because a CO2 system is a pretty intimidating at the moment and I understand that too much lighting is going to cause an algae festival.

Filtration (my next upgrade after lighting): I'm using a HOB filter, I know its not the best but I got a 75 gallon TopFin PF and it seems to be doing ok thus far at least. I'd like to get a canister when I can but that probably won't be until after the holidays. I have a 150 watt aqueon heater that is keeping the tank at a pretty stable 84 degrees.

Anyway, it still looks quite sparse and I'm sticking with very low light plants but this what we have in it so far:

Anubias Congensis
Java Fern
Wisteria
Cryptocoryne "green"

I'm using an API Master Test Kit Freshwater
These are my starting stats:
Tap Water pH is 7.8 and negative for ammonia or nitrites.
Ammonia - 4ppm (Just dosed it up today) :D

Attachments

• Day 1.jpg
    Day 1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Sanded.jpg
    Sanded.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Hardware.jpg
    Hardware.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 63
Wow!! Great job on the tank & stand!!! Just make sure you test your tap nitrates, too. Good luck and do not hesitate to ask for help! :)

Thanks, I'll make sure to test that also. I wasn't sure if that was something that would show up in tap water so I'll make sure to record that.

Very excited! It's day 9 of my fishless cycle and today when I went to test my levels my ammonia had dropped to about 1.5 ppm or so (between 1 and 2) and my Nitrite level had risen from 0 to 3.5 ppm and my NitrAtes have shown themselves at 10 ppm :D

Back
Top Bottom