Starting Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serg

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im starting the fishless cycle figure that was the best way to go after all the reading, i put in pure ammonia in my 55 gal tank on the 18th, so it would read 4 pmm, how long does it take to start seeing the ammonia drop?

Typically 1-2 weeks; every tank is different but that's on average. If you can get some filter media from an established healthy tank it'll speed things up some.

ok thanks! Should i keep testing it everyday from now on or every other day?

It's up to you, at this point. I wouldn't expect any significant changes yet. You can do every other day until you start seeing some results. Some people like to test, others it just stresses them out. Whatever you prefer is fine at this stage. Good luck!

I'm now on 9th or 10th day of the cycle and water has turn a lol cloudy, like a milky color is this normal? Is there anything I can do to make it better?

My friends tank did that. When he got fish, it all went clear, not sure why though....

I did a test today for ammonia and it has dropped on day 10th from 4pmm to 2 pmm, I tested for nitrites and its still ready at 0 with nitrates at 0 as well, should I be expecting and changes soon or what else should I do?

You can either dose enough to get it up to 4 again or you can wait another day or so to see if ammonia drops down lower. Just be careful when you redose as you'll need less than the first time if there's already ammonia in the tank. If you accidentally overdose (if it's higher than 5 ppm) do a water change to get it down. Right now it's pretty much testing ammonia daily, redosing when it drops. Eventually it'll start processing faster so you'll be dosing 4 ppms daily. Nitrites should show up, typically in week 3 but every tank is different.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I'm going to ask it here. If I check my ammo levels and they've dropped from 4ppm to 2ppm should I dose half as much as I did in my initial dose? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I want to make sure.

Thanks! I will go ahead and re dose it to 4ppm

Bevoholic yes you re dose it again but just half of what you had put in the first time, I'm currently in that stage

I am now on day 21 of my fishless cycle, the ammonia seems to have dropped to 2ppm from 4ppm for the second time, about 2 days ago, but nothing else has happen there is still 0 ppm for nitrites and nitrates , I'm starting to doubt that anything will happen, I've had bubbles on and temperature at 84 degrees all along , any advice? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom