Starting FW Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

Well if I cant get this SW Cyano problem cleared up I may have to convert to FW.

My Questions.... How easy is FW nowdays? How hard is it to keep algea out, keep gravel cleaned, and etc?

I've been wanting to convert our 29 gal to Saltwater but have heard that it is more difficult than FW. So Freshwater must be alot easier. :D

Hara said:
Nothing is easy if you don't commit yourself to the work involved.

I don't know, I have my 55g community set up with autofeeders and timers on the lights so all I really have to do is use my python for a water change and replace the filter media every 1-2 weeks. Pretty easy if you ask me. I even have that little fish alarm to remind me :D

When I used to do FW the only stuff I had to do was feed the fish, and clean the gravel and such when it needed it. Pretty easy as I remember it.
But I never did live plants.

My SW tank cyano just is getting so bad, and I have tried everything that I can try (Even bought VERY expensive chemicals for it) and its not getting better.

I know pretty much what I need for a FW, but as far as the lighting, what am I lookin at? I know my lighting is enough for FW (Maybe too much, see signature). Is the light spectrum right?

hmmm...if you're converting the 30 gal to FW planted, you will have to ditch the actinic for regular CF bulb. This will put you at @2wpg...plenty for plants. You just may be over a bit and will probably need to inject CO2.

Why does light remove CO2?

Is CO2 nessesary for plants?

Excuse me, as I have never done live plants before ;)

Light does not remove CO2. The high light makes plants grow well and they remove all the CO2 from the water. In order for them to survive you need to inject CO2 in order to keep enough available in the water.

The other thing is that algae can process CO2 faster than plants. When there is an increase of light, there is an increase of algae. Without CO2 to balance it out, the algae will process it faster and gain a major foothold in your tank. So, you are acutally increasing the CO2 level to maintain a balance.

Hope that makes sense.

If you are setting up a planted tank I would go to that forum, there is much more information there. BTW, my response above was for a non-planted tank, no way you could get away with as little work as I do on my tank if it was planted.

Fish enjoy the real plants
You don't have to vacuum the gravel as thoroughly as with reg. tank
Tank looks more realistic
You don't have to change the water as frequently

The list continues...but I'm sure you get the idea. :)

Downsides:

Constantly have to trim the plants
Plants can die / become brown
Have to worry about CO2, fert, etc
Filter gets clogged with leaves and grass

I have had both and I'm not a fan of planted tanks, just to give you the other side of it. But there is no doubt that if you are willing to spend the time and money on it, you can get very good results.

As far as money, this planted tank will be gobs cheaper than SW right?

Geeze the average FW fish is like $5 or so right?

How much is a CO2 system? I know they are expensive if you buy a factory made one, but what about a DIY one?

Its a 30. Thought that would be close enough to 30 (Most stuff has in the past) that it would work.

zacdl said:
Its a 30. Thought that would be close enough to 30 (Most stuff has in the past) that it would work.

You can always replace the small bottle it comes with with a DIY 2-Liter bottle setup and just use all the other parts of the kit.

Back
Top Bottom