starting my 120l again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbietofishes

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im going to use my water and top filter and maybe one or two plant to kick start the cycle what i want to know is will i need to use anything else on top dont want to use the gravel from my 240l tank as want to use a different colour gravel this time i will be adding bogwood do i need to soak it first or can i add it after a good scrub as it is a fishless cycle.. And not likely to add any fishes for two weeks or there about depending on the cycle finishing ofcourse... Any advice will be gratefully recieved...Thankyou

The only thing I can think of is the water, it's not really going to add any beneficial bacteria. If you do a pwc on your big tank and dump that into this one you be adding all the bio load needed to help cycle your tank

The only thing I can think of is the water, it's not really going to add any beneficial bacteria. If you do a pwc on your big tank and dump that into this one you be adding all the bio load needed to help cycle your tank

Sorry that is what i meant with "the water" or are you saying everytime i do a pwc in the 240l add it to the 120l to increase the benefical bacteria? Thanks and what about the bogwood/driftwood?

Your beneficial bacteria in the 240l will be found in the filter media and gravel and not so much in the water column. You can place a handful of the old gravel in a nylon sock or bag and place it in the filter of the 120l or in the path of the filter's current. Water in the 240l will have high nitrates and low ammonia; not really ideal for cycling the new tank so adding it will not help as much as you might think. Driftwood and other hard scape will also have BB just like the gravel.

Your beneficial bacteria in the 240l will be found in the filter media and gravel and not so much in the water column. You can place a handful of the old gravel in a nylon sock or bag and place it in the filter of the 120l or in the path of the filter's current. Water in the 240l will have high nitrates and low ammonia; not really ideal for cycling the new tank so adding it will not help as much as you might think. Driftwood and other hard scape will also have BB just like the gravel.

Thanks for that and will add bogwood plants and gravel (put in tight would that be okay as got plenty of old tight ... And put in the filter area as do have space there as got the old juwel rio tank) have alread put a filter from the 240l to 120l.
Strange you say water havent got much of bb cos that what the lfs said to do :-\ ... glad i checked here also... Do i still need to add something daily/weekly to the tank or just leave it and wait? Testing it of course, dont want to jump start and nothing happen quicker i get it up and running quicker i can reduce my over stock tank...

Did you say that you have moved one of the filters from the 240l to the 120l? If that is the case then I don't see why you cannot slowly start moving your stock over. Very few at a time. The thing about the gravel and other things moved from the established tank to the new tank...the BB needs something to keep it going food wise or it will die off.
If I misunderstood about the filter, the same applies about keeping the BB alive in the new tank. A few fish will provide the necessary ammonia to keep it going. And test test test.

Did you say that you have moved one of the filters from the 240l to the 120l? If that is the case then I don't see why you cannot slowly start moving your stock over. Very few at a time. The thing about the gravel and other things moved from the established tank to the new tank...the BB needs something to keep it going food wise or it will die off.
If I misunderstood about the filter, the same applies about keeping the BB alive in the new tank. A few fish will provide the necessary ammonia to keep it going. And test test test.

Yes there now a filter seeding and gravel in tight in the filter of 120l from the 240 will add a fish or two over the coming weeks or is that too little? Thanks for the advice

Yes there now a filter seeding and gravel in tight in the filter of 120l from the 240 will add a fish or two over the coming weeks or is that too little? Thanks for the advice

I'd start sooner IF possible and take it slow (yeah sounds hypocritical). Testing of course. Well its not like you are introducing fish to a non-seeded setup.

I'd start sooner IF possible and take it slow (yeah sounds hypocritical). Testing of course. Well its not like you are introducing fish to a non-seeded setup.

Did a test yesterday the nitrite and nitrate are both off the chart so didnt add them yesterday but did a water change will test reading today and go from there hopefully it will have reduce by half at least then i will add a couple and go from there

Did a test yesterday the nitrite and nitrate are both off the chart so didnt add them yesterday but did a water change will test reading today and go from there hopefully it will have reduce by half at least then i will add a couple and go from there

A bit surprising that those levels are elevated especially the nitrites. What are the conditions like in the 240 L? And the ammonia levels?

A bit surprising that those levels are elevated especially the nitrites. What are the conditions like in the 240 L? And the ammonia levels?

In my 240L its spot on....
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
10mg/l nitrate

water change since last posting for the 120l
ammonia 0
nitrite 2mg/l still high....
Nitrate 20mg/l... On the high side
Cant explain why the 120l went mad... But doing water changes but worried about the bb thou cos havent risk putting fish in cos it too high well it was...

In my 240L its spot on....
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
10mg/l nitrate

water change since last posting for the 120l
ammonia 0
nitrite 2mg/l still high....
Nitrate 20mg/l... On the high side
Cant explain why the 120l went mad... But doing water changes but worried about the bb thou cos havent risk putting fish in cos it too high well it was...

Nitrates are typical if you dont have a lot of plants. Lookup my thread on Unknown Ammonia Source. I have not figured out how to copy and paste thread links. Anyhow it was a nightmare and I did a 100% restart.

Nitrates are typical if you dont have a lot of plants. Lookup my thread on Unknown Ammonia Source. I have not figured out how to copy and paste thread links. Anyhow it was a nightmare and I did a 100% restart.

And how is that tank now? What a nightmare it must have been

And how is that tank now? What a nightmare it must have been

Currently it is a Tank with heater and filter (no media...ordering more) lights and water. That's it. I believe there was something rotting causing the ammonia to go from <1 to 4-8 in a matter of 8 hours after a 90% WC. This was on a daily basis for at least a week. Patience ran out so everything went had to go.

Back
Top Bottom