Starting my second tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairustwo

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'd like to start a second fish tank and have a quick question about starting the cycle.

For my first tank I was sold a bottle of "Cycle" to get the good bacteria in the the loop.

For my second tank I'm wondering if I can add an extra little sponge into the filter of my established tank for a few days and then add that sponge into the filter of my new tank along with an ammonia source?

Longer than a few days? What do you think.

Absolutely that will kick start your cycle very well. The longer you run the extra sponge in the established tank the better, as the more bacteria it accumulates, the faster your cycle will go in the new tank.

I would just run both filters on the established tank for about a week or two then transfer it over when you are ready to stock.

How long has the first tank been setup?

Seed material is definitely the way to go...you can pick up more by adding substrate or decorations from the existing tank as well

Fishy Fanatic- I can't fit two HOB filters on my existing tank.
I can float the sponge from the new filter in the existing thank though.

The first tank is two and a half months in. Not overstocked but not empty. Water parameters are great. The Bio filter is working in there.

pairustwo

Back
Top Bottom