Starting Out...HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vikeologist

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK...

I am almost ready to give in to my urge and buy a tank. I went to Wal-Mart and they have a 55 gallon tank kit for $148.00. All I really want out of that is probably the tank itself and the heater.

I have several questions....

1) Should I go with a 55 gallon tank or 75 gallon. I cant seem to find a 75 gallon anywhere. Would you go with acrylic or glass?

2) I will buy a better filter than what comes in the kit. Should I buy a canister filter or a Hang on the back filter with a bio wheel?

3) Should I buy another heater besides the one that comes with the kit, and hang it on the other side? How many watts?

4) I want purple substrate. Such as Minnesota Vikings purple. Where do i buy that, and how deep to you put it in the bottom of th tank? 1/4"?

5) I will also buy a Python to clean the tank, and a algae scrubber. Where do I find those?

6) Is that everything I would need to start my tank? Besides Amonia to start the cycle?

7) What type of water test kit should I buy and dechlorinator? Should i get Prime?

Sorry for all the questions, but im sure there will be even more once i get started ha ha!

Thanks!!!

1. If you can find a 75, go with it. They are usually not much more money. I'd go with glass. Acrylic is expensive and scratches easier. It is lighter though.

2. I'd go with a canister. Anything 40gal+ IMO should have a canister.

3. Yes. The Wal-Mart ones are insufficient. I'd go with a Visi-Therm Stealth. They are not glass so they won't break from being hit or taken out of the water while still plugged in. Plus, they are black and easy to hide.

4. You can buy purple gravel at the lfs. You can put it as deep as you want. I like substrate that is at least 3 inches deep. It gives me more room to aquascape.

5. At your lfs or from an online site like www.bigalsonline.com

6. You will need hoods (to prevent jumpers) and lights (not a must but I can't imagine a tank without them). You'll also need hiding places and misc. decor.

7. I recommend the AP Master test. It is a liquid reagent kit and I think extremely reliable. The nitrates can be hard to read when the levels are high, but when they are that high a water change is needed anyway. I recommend Prime as a dechlorinator. Cheap and highly concentrated. Lasts a long time.

try a local LFS (local fish store) or a petsmart or petco for the tank (you can usually get a 55 tank for $120 at petsmart, or you can get like a 75gall with stand and canopy for about...$450 or so...) ya...I would get a canister as HOB's are a pain, cause you cant put it up against the wall,....please. ask more questions!

Back
Top Bottom